-
Getting Data off a Windows Partition
Knoppix is pretty cool. I'm using it to backup some data on a windows machine that's totally crapped out because I can't get it to boot and I need to save some stuff before a clean install.
Here's the question: There are 3 partitions on the Windows machine. In Knoppix, 3 drives show up and it's clear which is the boot drive.
Because there's gbs of data that needs to be backed up I'm moving it from the boot partition onto the other available partitions.
When I go to reinstall windows, I know it will recognize the partitions, but will the first one it shows be the c: drive for sure? What I'm saying is, can I be safe in knowing that if I choose the first partition it won't install on one of the ones I'm backing up to and delete all the files I'm trying to back up?
-
Senior Member
registered user
-
Just to be sure..
Is there a way to know which the C: partition is during the reinstall?
-
Senior Member
registered user
Use Fdisk and change the tags on the partitions
I have installed windows on a HD with an existing windows data partition and the install was to F: a new partition, but a deal breaker with some windows installs. It is possible to change the drive letter to C:, but a world of grief, much detail.
I have not done this recently with XP, so windows behavior may have changed, but I suspect not.
I would use Fdisk on Knoppix to change the tags on all windows partitions to something windows doesn't recognize until after the windows install, and then change the tags back using Knoppix and fdisk again.
rcook
Similar Threads
-
By bono in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 5
Last Post: 08-08-2005, 08:10 AM
-
By alex2004 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 4
Last Post: 06-17-2005, 11:20 PM
-
By charles1981 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 03-21-2005, 06:42 AM
-
By StryDeR in forum General Support
Replies: 11
Last Post: 02-23-2005, 08:00 AM
-
By doktor in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 11-01-2003, 06:54 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

S-100 Vector Graphic 12K PROM/RAM Board (Altair, IMSAI)
$99.95

S-100 Vector Graphic 64K Ram Board (Altair, IMSAI)
$99.95

Vintage Digital Research ZSID 1.4 8" Floppy Disk CP/M Z80 Software S-100 Altair
$69.99

S-100 Industrial Micro Systems 8K Static Ram (IMS, Altair, IMSAI)
$69.95

Altair MITS S100 Backplane 8080A S-100 Replica IMSAI CP/M (bare board)
$40.00

BYTE Magazine Cover Jan 1977 Canvas Print 8"x10" Retro Computer Altair 880
$7.00

TDL “the ZPU” rev 1 February 1977 s100 cpu board
$345.00

S-100 backplane motherboard bare PCB 9 slot (for Altair/IMSAI)
$34.99

CP/M 86 1.1R 8086 Highmonitor 8 Inch Floppy Diskette 80s IMSAI Altair
$40.00

ALTAIR Bitcoin Mining Solutions PDU IEC SERIES 100-250V 30A/24A Power Distribute
$99.00