Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Knoppix Crashing My Laptop

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    3

    Knoppix Crashing My Laptop

    So I just bought a distro of Knoppix Linux off of eBay mostly for my laptop. It is a 266Mhz Pentium II Proccessor with 192 MB of ram.

    So basically I set it up to boot from cd and insert knoppix cd. Then it loads up and I press enter to load it. It goes through some stuff and detects stuff.

    Then I see it loading that it says all data about my proccessor and then says PCMCIA card detected then all of sudden it just instantly shuts down my laptop.

    Its like a dead stop a complete shutdown instantly..Then the hard drive spins down and such. What would cause this


    Any Ideas

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: Knoppix Crashing My Laptop

    Quote Originally Posted by Towlies
    So I just bought a distro of Knoppix Linux off of eBay ........
    Any Ideas
    Could be any number of things, including the computer needing one or more hardware "cheat codes" to help it past the hardware detection phase. But since you bought the disc, and on top of that bought it from the electronic bay of theives, my guess is that it is a poorly made disc burnt at high speed and that it's marginal and will have problems on many systems (although it might or might not boot on others). We see lots of problems from high speed burns and this sounds more like that to me than a hardware detection problem.

    I can offer two choices of action: follow the documentation link near the top of this page and read the wiki section on cheat codes and try some. The nodma and dma codes would be a place I would start but it certainly could be others, or (and this is the one that I expect will end up being the fix), follow the same link and read the Downloading faq and get your own copy of the iso; then confirm it with the md5 test and burn it as instructed in the faq, includuing burning at low speed.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    3
    Well the eBay listed stated that he burned the disk at 2X Speed. The media that it was burned on was Azul not sure how good or bad that is. Also he had a pretty solid feedback....So I am not sure how good this burn is.

    Also this does work on my other computer a AMD Athlon XP computer so its got all the right data on it...Its not like a bad burn.


    I will try that nodma cheat code and post back.

  4. #4
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by Towlies
    Also this does work on my other computer a AMD Athlon XP computer so its got all the right data on it...Its not like a bad burn.
    We have seen many high speed burns that boot ok (or boot completely but boot slower than they should) but are still bad burns and will not boot on other systems due to small differences with the drives; the problems go away when the burn is done properly. Yes, your disk may have been burnt properly, my bias against the electronic bay of theives may or may not be valid in this case but it does leave an issue of trust of the quality of the disc that complicates things. Good luck with the cheat codes though.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    3
    Alright I just tryed to boot with with dma off

    I used

    knoppix dma=off on the boot screen........It went through and same old shutdown.

    I also tryed

    failsafe which actually worked but then I could not move my mouse at all


    From what I can see in the text from when its booting it goes through and the last thing I can see if PCMCIA Found...Which I odd seeing how it does that no matter if I have my PCMCIA WIFI card in there or not. Then it powers down it could be caused by something right after PCMCIA card detection that I am not able to see because it powers down

  6. #6
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    My first advice is give up hope that the wifi will work, focus on the rest and when you get that resolved revisit the wifi. I have a number of wifi pcmcia cards that Knoppix does not recognize at all, even though some are supported quite well by other versions of Linux. And 5.0.1 is particularly bad, the one wifi card that I have that it did support in 4.02 no longer works in 5.0.1.

    It may certainly be a cheat code other than nodma, although just what codes to try are more of a guessing game than science (at least as far as I know). You may also want to try booting in the expert mode and taking good notes as you answer all of the questions. When you get to the point that you hang, go back and change the answer to your last question.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1
    Hmmm I had a similar error to this, my laptop would freeze upon loading the PCMCIA as well.
    Try typing:
    knoppix ide2=0x180 nopcmcia

Similar Threads

  1. 4.0.2: crashing terminalserver
    By urilabob in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-26-2006, 04:05 PM
  2. crashing at boot up
    By tonym53 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-22-2005, 11:08 AM
  3. KDM Crashing
    By Kowood in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-09-2005, 11:15 PM
  4. knoppix crashing/freezing
    By punk000 in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-29-2003, 10:50 PM
  5. Knoppix crashing on my PC
    By ramu_i in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-24-2003, 10:06 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS picture

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS

$199.00



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99



Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On picture

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On

$450.00



Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram  240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ* picture

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*

$369.99



HP PROLIANT  TPS-W003 MICRO- SERVER TOWER Gen 8, 16G RAM picture

HP PROLIANT TPS-W003 MICRO- SERVER TOWER Gen 8, 16G RAM

$195.00



Supermicro 1027GR-TSF 1U Rackmount Server 2x Xeon 2.3GHz 128GB DDR3 picture

Supermicro 1027GR-TSF 1U Rackmount Server 2x Xeon 2.3GHz 128GB DDR3

$219.99



SUPERMICRO CSE-836 XEON E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz, 32GB RAM, NO HDD/OS picture

SUPERMICRO CSE-836 XEON E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz, 32GB RAM, NO HDD/OS

$299.99



New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G picture

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G

$449.99



Supermicro CSE-216 No CPU No Ram No HDD Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-216 No CPU No Ram No HDD Tested & Reset

$149.99



Supermicro 505-2   Server picture

Supermicro 505-2 Server

$280.00