-
Copy files from NTFS drive to another drive
I'm setting up a NAS server on an old PC and one of the drives has all of my storages files (movies, music, pictures, etc.) stored on it. The drive is formatted as NTFS and FreeNAS can't read the files properly. I downloaded Knoppix and ran it and it sees all of my drives and files, however I do not know how to copy the files from one harddrive to another using Knoppix. My only computer experience is with Windows, so I have no idea how this is accomplished using Linux. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
If copying to drives on the same computer, the other drives must be writeable (such as FAT). Then you need to mount the partition as writeable (Knoppix defaults to read-only as a safety measure). See answer #6 for details. Then you should be able to drag and drop the files to the new disk (or use the command line interface, although it sounds like you are looking for drag and drop).
If you want to copy the files to a different computer on a network, there are many ways to do this type of transfer. Persoanlly, I like to run an FTP server on the receiving system and use Konquror as a FTP client on the Knoppix system (it is significantly faster than dealing with Microsoft file sharing, and my personal observation is that MS file sharing seems to deliberately drag it's feet when it detects a Linux system). See answer #5 for more details.
-
Thank you, that was the answer I was looking for. I got a pretty good laugh from the first line of your document "You are likely here because the answer to your question is the same as it was the last few hundred times it was asked and answered." I figured that was a question that had been asked before, but I always struggle with trying to find the right search terms to get the answers that I need.
Similar Threads
-
By Peter42y in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 12-11-2007, 12:28 AM
-
By Maninafix in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-13-2007, 02:36 AM
-
By _Larry_ in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 05-03-2005, 09:48 AM
-
By omega in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 01-30-2005, 07:46 PM
-
By Bothersome in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 5
Last Post: 10-07-2004, 10:53 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver
$5.40

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*
$24.00

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module
$699.99

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99

Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA
$28.94

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT
$7.99

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+
$16.99

Cisco SFP-10G-SR V03 850nm 10GBASE-SR SFP+ MMF 10-2415-03 Transceiver
$4.99

Arista SFP-10G-SR 10GBASE-SR XVR-10001-20 850nm SFP+ Optical Transceiver
$20.70

Dell 10 Gigabit SFP+ SR Transceiver 0XYD50 NEW SEALED
$24.99