Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Issues With Booting - Averatec 3700

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    2

    Issues With Booting - Averatec 3700

    Okay, I've looked over the forums and tried as many cheatcodes as I can get my hands on, but nothing has seemed to work beyond a very limited level.

    I have:
    Averatec 3700 series notebook
    AMD Sempron Mobile, 1800Mhz
    480M RAM

    I can get into X via failsafe, but it doesn't help much without mouse or network support. No amount of keyboard shortcuts can get me to a command prompt.

    Beyond that, autodetection hangs on every single boot, even with failsafe. The BIOS in that particular notebook doesn't have much in the way of options, but the cheatcodes I've used to try to get around this don't seem to do much.

    I can't run lspci for more verbose info, as I can't reach a command prompt. Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    2
    UPDATE:

    I have managed to get mouse support back. I still can't get network, but am attempting to fix this problem.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Korea
    Posts
    6
    I have a 3715. I boot Knoppix from the 5.0 dvd with "knoppix lang=us xserver=xorg". Everything works except the wireless and 3d rendering so far, but I don't think that this video card suppoorts it in Linux yet. I am going to try it now. If I reply tonoght, it is because it worked, and I will tell you how.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Korea
    Posts
    6
    I got online, but it wasn't easy.

    I was using a public access point here in Korea and a simple:
    iwconfig eth0 essid ssrt_yongsan
    didn't do the trick. I tried all of the network utilities in the Knoppix menu and I couldn't get on.
    Knoppix recognized my card as the RT2500, and it KWiFiManager saw both access points in the vicinity, but I couldn't get the stupid thing to give me an IP address for more than a split second.

    I then tried using the ndsiwrapper utility. I went into Windows and downloaded the installer from Averatec (I have an AV 3715-KD!, by the way) and I used WinRAR to extract the driver from the .exe file.

    I tried some more utilities, and even manually checked each channel from the command line. iwconfig and ifconfig were of no help.

    pump -i eth0 didn't help.

    Finally, I went looking for a wireless tutorial and found one here in these forums (search for "brief wireless config tutorial please" and you should find it.

    I tried everything in that thread. I got to the last post, and tried that stupid wlcardconfig from the Knoppix menu and guess what; it worked.

    My connection was dreadfully slow however, and I suspect that it has more to do with the fact that I was running off the live dvd, rather than torram or tohdd. By the time I got GMail to load, the place closed and I had to leave. The system also froze, but that is typical for me when running any version of a live Knoppix on this machine.

    I will try all of this again once I get use knoppix-installer to replace my broken Mandriva2007.

    Once this is done, I will post any further issues and success stories for my Averatec AV3715-KD1 here in this thread.

    By the way, the KD1 is nearly identical to the US Model ED1. The only difference I have noticed is that my keyboard is Korean. The layout is identical and the right CTRL and ALT buttons are used to swith from US to Korean layouts and input method editors in Windows. Of course, I had to reinstall a US verson of Windows to get it working, but Microsoft honored activation using the same product key.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Korea
    Posts
    6

    Re: Issues With Booting - Averatec 3700

    Quote Originally Posted by soiltriad
    I have:
    Averatec 3700 series notebook
    AMD Sempron Mobile, 1800Mhz
    480M RAM
    By the way, if you have an AV 3715, you have 512 MB of RAM. This model steal your system's RAM to run your video card. In your BIOS, you can set how much you wish to devote, up to 64 MB.

    Quote Originally Posted by soiltriad
    I can get into X via failsafe, but it doesn't help much without mouse or network support. No amount of keyboard shortcuts can get me to a command prompt.
    In most Linux distributions, you can use alt+F2 to get the Run Command. type "konsole" and you will get your command prompt.

    Quote Originally Posted by soiltriad

    Beyond that, autodetection hangs on every single boot, even with failsafe. The BIOS in that particular notebook doesn't have much in the way of options, but the cheatcodes I've used to try to get around this don't seem to do much.
    My boot hangs at autodetection EVERY time with this model laptop unless I specify the xserver. I even accidentally used XFree86 and it switched to xorg. I am sure that it has somemthing to do with the VIA adapter being poorly supported, but at least there is some support.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Korea
    Posts
    6
    My Knoppix 5 DVD got scratched. I downloaded the 5.1 CD and tried using it on the same computer. It is hangnig on dhcp broadcaast, and so does DSL for that matter, so I get it to boot with knoppix nodhco xserver=xorg.

    During boot, it didn't recognize my video card (VIA S3 Unichrome, AKA K8M800) or my wireless card (rt2500). Knoppix 5.0 DVD had no issues recognizing either. I wonder if the DVD has better hardware detection, or somply more drivers included. In a not entirely unrelated issue, my 5.1 dvd torrent is having issues so I am limited to thecd for now.

Similar Threads

  1. Booting issues with compilation DVD on Virtual PC
    By jelzimme in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-26-2007, 04:11 AM
  2. Booting issues
    By asearle in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-19-2005, 01:03 PM
  3. Booting issues
    By jgagauth in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-08-2005, 10:57 AM
  4. Booting issues
    By B4L1STA in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-24-2005, 01:41 AM
  5. please help me with CD booting issues
    By econobeing5 in forum General Support
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 10-03-2004, 12:18 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


HPE ProLiant MicroServer Gen10 Plus 32GB RAM Xeon E-2224 3.40Ghz No HDD No AC  picture

HPE ProLiant MicroServer Gen10 Plus 32GB RAM Xeon E-2224 3.40Ghz No HDD No AC

$750.00



HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 Tower Server Xeon E3-1220 v2 2.3GHz 16GB RAM picture

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 Tower Server Xeon E3-1220 v2 2.3GHz 16GB RAM

$289.99



POGO ATLAS 1102 Server 32 Gb RAM 4TB Storage 2x2TB HDD’s (Tested-Working) No OS picture

POGO ATLAS 1102 Server 32 Gb RAM 4TB Storage 2x2TB HDD’s (Tested-Working) No OS

$179.85



ASRock Rack ROMED8-2T/BCM Server Motherboard For Parts/Repair picture

ASRock Rack ROMED8-2T/BCM Server Motherboard For Parts/Repair

$365.00



New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G picture

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G

$449.99



Supermicro 5019D-4C-FN8TP Xeon D-2123IT (4C/8T) 64GB DDR4 10GbE 480GB 1U Server picture

Supermicro 5019D-4C-FN8TP Xeon D-2123IT (4C/8T) 64GB DDR4 10GbE 480GB 1U Server

$689.00



1U Edge Firewall Server X11SCW-F Xeon E-2174G 0 RAM M.2 NVME 3x PCI-e 2x PSU X picture

1U Edge Firewall Server X11SCW-F Xeon E-2174G 0 RAM M.2 NVME 3x PCI-e 2x PSU X

$200.00



Supermicro SuperServer E300-15 - SYS-e300-9C - 16GB RAM 240GB Samsung SSD picture

Supermicro SuperServer E300-15 - SYS-e300-9C - 16GB RAM 240GB Samsung SSD

$199.99



HP Proliant MicroServer Gen 8 2.23GHz Xeon 16GB RAM NO SSD picture

HP Proliant MicroServer Gen 8 2.23GHz Xeon 16GB RAM NO SSD

$249.99



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99