Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Cannot boot Knoppix on Sony VAIO PCG-Z505JS

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1

    Cannot boot Knoppix on Sony VAIO PCG-Z505JS

    Hello -
    I have an old Sony VAIO PCG-Z505JS laptop with 128MB RAM. I'm trying to load KNOPPIX 5.0.1 CD EN and I've tried booting it plain and also with several command line switches, but it consistently bombs out.

    I've used the options listed below which gets me further than a boot with no options:
    knoppix ide2=0x180,0x386 nopcmcia
    Also tried various combinations of: atapicd nodma acpi=off noapm
    etc, etc

    Knoppix consistently hangs at "Starting udev hot-plug detection..." for about 2 minutes, then says "Failed" and begins scrolling hundreds of lines of IO errors so fast I cannot read them...

    cloop: Read error at pos XXXXXXXXX in file /cdrom/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX, 29516 bytes lost.
    cloop: zlib decompression error -3 uncompressing block XXXX XXXXX/X/XXXXX/X XXXXXXXXX-XXXXXXXXX
    end_request: I/O error, dev hde, sector XXXXXX
    ...

    then after a minute I get:
    Error: No suitable X-Server found for your card.
    and the system hangs hard and must be powered off.

    I have verified my md5 checksum of my ISO image is: 653acc801d4059598bd388de8171a20d
    I suppose the DVD reader could be bad, but it's always worked before and boots Windows media just fine.
    The CD is definately good as I can boot from several other machines with it...

    I know this Sony VAIO is some weird hardware, so any help would be most appreciated.
    Regards,
    mikebo

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3
    I've got the same problem. I am currently posting on an identical Vaio. . .using Knoppix 4.02 EN. It seems we are being left behind. . . .It appears you are already familiar with the cheatcodes needed to boot 4.02.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3
    On a happier note, I have successfully booted Knoppix 5.01 on my IBM Transnote, which if possible has even wierder hardware. However, to be fair, Knoppix does not operate the writing recognition tablet which is part of the Transnote package.

Similar Threads

  1. Sony Vaio and Knoppix, Pls Help!
    By bengaskell in forum Laptops
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-18-2010, 12:58 AM
  2. Snail Boot on Sony Vaio NV170
    By apun in forum Laptops
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-04-2004, 06:20 AM
  3. Sony Vaio PCG-GRT815M boot problem
    By leodr99 in forum Laptops
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-23-2004, 02:19 AM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-20-2004, 04:25 AM
  5. Knoppix on Sony Vaio
    By bigrobot in forum Laptops
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-05-2003, 12:14 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G picture

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G

$449.99



HP Proliant MicroServer Gen 8 2.23GHz Xeon 16GB RAM NO SSD picture

HP Proliant MicroServer Gen 8 2.23GHz Xeon 16GB RAM NO SSD

$249.99



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99



Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC picture

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC

$250.00



Supermicro E300-9D-4CN8TP Xeon D-2123IT 8GB RAM 4x10GbE SFP+ IPMI Server w/ PSU picture

Supermicro E300-9D-4CN8TP Xeon D-2123IT 8GB RAM 4x10GbE SFP+ IPMI Server w/ PSU

$475.00



Supermicro SuperServer E300-15 - SYS-e300-9C - 16GB RAM 240GB Samsung SSD picture

Supermicro SuperServer E300-15 - SYS-e300-9C - 16GB RAM 240GB Samsung SSD

$199.99



Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram  240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ* picture

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*

$369.99



Supermicro 5019D-4C-FN8TP Xeon D-2123IT (4C/8T) 64GB DDR4 10GbE 480GB 1U Server picture

Supermicro 5019D-4C-FN8TP Xeon D-2123IT (4C/8T) 64GB DDR4 10GbE 480GB 1U Server

$689.00



Supermicro E300-12C Mini 1U Barebone X12SCV-LVDS LGA1200 SNK-P0073A4 w/ Adapter picture

Supermicro E300-12C Mini 1U Barebone X12SCV-LVDS LGA1200 SNK-P0073A4 w/ Adapter

$225.00



SuperMicro SuperServer 5013C-M picture

SuperMicro SuperServer 5013C-M

$160.00