Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Knx 5.1.0 AIGLX doesn't work on Nvidia card

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Poland
    Posts
    11

    Knx 5.1.0 AIGLX doesn't work on Nvidia card

    Hi
    I'm running knoppix 5.1.0 on Nvidia Geforce FX5200 CPU sempron 2500 with a cheatcode desktop=beryl
    After launching X I get message:
    Code:
    No AIGLX extension for your graphics card. No 3D Desktop
    I wonder is it because there is no original nvidia driver for this card with live-cd, or the card really doesn't have AIGLX.
    i also tested Fx 5500 - the same result.

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2
    i've got the exact same problem as the person above. my machine spec is 2.4ghz p4, 512 ram and im not sure what my graphics card is but it'a an nvidia and it's good enough for windows vista and half life 2 so it should be good enough for beryl.

    P.S. does anyone know how i find out what my graphics card is in linux?

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1

    Re: Knx 5.1.0 AIGLX doesn't work on Nvidia card

    Quote Originally Posted by rivendels
    Hi
    I'm running knoppix 5.1.0 on Nvidia Geforce FX5200 CPU sempron 2500 with a cheatcode desktop=beryl
    After launching X I get message:
    Code:
    No AIGLX extension for your graphics card. No 3D Desktop
    I wonder is it because there is no original nvidia driver for this card with live-cd, or the card really doesn't have AIGLX.
    i also tested Fx 5500 - the same result.
    Hi, neither on my ATI Radeon™ Xpress 200 (it's a laptop) with a AMD Turion64 1.64 GHZ CPU with 1 GB Ram

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2
    ok im gona try ubuntu and see if i can get beryl working on that to see if it is just my hardware or an issue with knoppix. this might take me a while as ubuntu doesn't come with beryl.

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Poland
    Posts
    11
    your hardware should be fine. beryl works with geforce 4. it may not work on live cd as Nvidia doesn't allow to use their original drivers in distros
    like it was with korrora. I wonder if it will work after HDinstall, and installing drivers from Nvidia site. unfortunately I don't have time now to reinstall knoppix.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    China.ShenZhen
    Posts
    8
    I use Knoppix-5.1.1-CD version.

    My home pc have a Geforce 6600LE video card installed, can't bring beryl up with the same error too...
    My office pc have an Intel 82845G intergrated video card, can successfully bring beryl desktop up.


  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Poland
    Posts
    11
    I've installed knx 5.1.1. And beryl is finally working. I'm running original Nvidia 1.0-9746 drivers, kernel is 2.6.19-2. It seems that it also dependa on properly configured xorg.conf I'm sending a piece of it with the most important options.
    Code:
    /etc/X11/xorg.conf 
    
    Section "ServerLayout"
    # compiz, beryl 3D-Support with DRI & Composite
            Option         "AIGLX"     "true"
    EndSection
    
    Section "ServerFlags"
    	Option "AllowMouseOpenFail"  "true"
    	
    EndSection
    
    Section "Files"
    # Do not change
    EndSection
    
    Section "Module"
    # Comments: see http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=346408
    	Load  "dbe" # Double Buffering Extension, very important.
    	Load  "dri" # This shouldn't be available choice if user has selected driver vga, vesa or nv.
    	Load  "glx" # GLX Extension.
    	Load  "freetype" # Freetype fonts.
    	Load  "type1"  # Type 1 fonts
    	Load  "record" # Developer extension, usually not needed
    #	Load  "extmod" # This is okay, but if you look into "man xorg.conf" you'll find option NOT to include DGA extension with extmod, and for a good reason.. DGA causes instability as it access videoram without consulting X about it.
    	SubSection      "extmod"
    		Option          "omit xfree86-dga"
    	EndSubSection
    #	Load  "speedo" 
    #       Load  "ddc"  
    #	Load  "GLcore"
    #       Load  "bitmap" 
    EndSection
    
    Section "Extensions"
    	# beryl and compiz need this, but it can cause bad (end even softreset-resistant)
    	# effects in some graphics cards, especially nv.
     Option "Composite" "Enable"
    EndSection
    
    Section "InputDevice"
    #  Do not change
    EndSection
    
    Section "InputDevice"
    #  Do not change
    EndSection
    
    Section "InputDevice"
    # Do not change
    EndSection
    
    Section "InputDevice"
           # Do not change
    EndSection
    
    # Auto-generated by KNOPPIX mkxf86config
    
    Section "Monitor"
    # Do not change
    	
    EndSection
    
    Section "Device"
    	### Available Driver options are:-
    # sw_cursor is needed for some ati and radeon cards
            #Option     "sw_cursor"
            #Option     "hw_cursor"
            #Option     "NoAccel"
            #Option     "ShowCache"
            #Option     "ShadowFB"
            #Option     "UseFBDev"
            #Option     "Rotate"
    	Identifier  "Card0"
    # auto-generated by KNOPPIX mkxorgconfig
    	Driver      "nvidia"
    	VendorName  "All"
    	BoardName   "All"
    #	BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
    #
    # compiz, beryl 3D-Support with DRI & Composite
    	Option "XAANoOffscreenPixmaps"
    	Option "AllowGLXWithComposite" "true"
    	Option "EnablePageFlip" "true"
    
    # This two lines are (presumably) needed to prevent fonts from being scrambled
            Option  "XaaNoScanlineImageWriteRect" "true"
            Option  "XaaNoScanlineCPUToScreenColorExpandFill" "true"
    EndSection
    
    Section "Screen"
    	Identifier "Screen0"
    	Device     "Card0"
    	Monitor    "Monitor0"
    	DefaultColorDepth 24
    	Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "true"
    	Option "DisableGLXRootClipping" "true"
    	SubSection "Display"
    	.	
    	.	
    	.	
    	SubSection "Display"
    		Depth     24
    		Modes "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
    	EndSubSection
    	SubSection "Display"
    		Depth     32
    		Modes "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
    	EndSubSection
    EndSection
    
    Section "DRI"
    	Mode 0666
    EndSection

    My office pc have an Intel 82845G intergrated video card, can successfully bring beryl desktop up.
    I've read somewhere (It might be on Korrora site) that nvidia and ati don't allow to use their original drivers in linux distros, So on Live-Cd beryl may work only with intel cards

  8. #8
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    50

    I assume...

    Hi,

    I am guessing as its not that clear that you have to install 5.1.X to be able to get AIGLX working ... of course Nvidia drivers are not supplied [due too well whatever!] ...

    Could live cd be reworked [by user!] to include nvidia drivers or is that against the rules too .....?

  9. #9
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: I assume...

    Quote Originally Posted by MrGreen
    Could live cd be reworked [by user!] to include nvidia drivers or is that against the rules too .....?
    I believe it may be against Nvidia's rules. Which is to say, I think the license agreement on restribution of the 3d drivers is more repressive than some members of the Knoppix team will accept, so it's not showing up in Knoppix, The 3d drivers were included in the Games Knoppix DVD and I never heard of any reprocusions from that, but Games Knoppix is not used to build a lot of other distrobutions the way Knoppix is. (And it seems to have vanished fron the Knoppix torrent.)

    So the user is certainly free to rework the live cd to include the drivers. But I don't think the development team will be including them in Knoppix any time soon.

    Of course, I could just have bad information here and I certainly don't speak for Klaus, you may wish to ask him or monitor the developer information a bit and see what has been said on this, but it is the understang I have from previous discussions
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  10. #10
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    50
    Thats fine I know other live/distros had problems ... thing is why supply AIGLX on livecd at all? is it for hd-install only?

    Sorry I will search forums for answers

    thanks again for your reply

    MrG

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix 6.2 and Compiz on an nvidia card
    By jak in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-30-2009, 11:34 PM
  2. GLX and not AIGLX
    By RHCA in forum Ideas
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-31-2007, 11:56 AM
  3. Making NVIDIA kernel/GLX work automaticly. HOW?
    By your_breakfast in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-14-2004, 02:22 PM
  4. How do I get drivers for my nvidia card that don't suck?
    By Kethinov in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-26-2003, 12:54 AM
  5. How to make NVIDIA work? kernel-headers-2.4.20-xfs ?????
    By ool in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-24-2003, 05:48 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT picture

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT

$7.99



Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter picture

Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter

$27.50



Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module picture

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module

$699.99



Cisco QSFP-40G-SR-BD  Module  10-2945-02  NEW CLAMSHELL picture

Cisco QSFP-40G-SR-BD Module 10-2945-02 NEW CLAMSHELL

$45.50



Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver picture

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver

$5.40



Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA picture

Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA

$28.94



HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port  PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+ picture

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+

$16.99



NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping* picture

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*

$24.00



Dell 10 Gigabit SFP+ SR Transceiver 0XYD50 NEW SEALED picture

Dell 10 Gigabit SFP+ SR Transceiver 0XYD50 NEW SEALED

$24.99



Lot of 10 ARISTA SFP-10G-SR 10GBASE-SR SFP LC Connector Optic Transceiver Module picture

Lot of 10 ARISTA SFP-10G-SR 10GBASE-SR SFP LC Connector Optic Transceiver Module

$60.72