Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Newbie can't access Knoppix files

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3

    Newbie can't access Knoppix files

    I downloaded knoppix 5.0.1 using bittorrent. I checked the md5, and burned the ISO to CD using ISO recorder. Everything seems fine.

    When I insert the knoppix CD I have the folders/files: boot, knoppix, autorun, etc. I can open the folders. But I cannot open or access any of the files. If I try to open any of the text files using Notepad, I get a message "Cannot open the 'G:\..' file. Make sure a disk is in the drive you specified." This happened both times I burned the ISO, on both my systems. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Notepad??? Linux has many strange editors, but as far as I know it does not have notepad. And G:\....
    Linux does not reference partitions with letters that way, that a Microsoft Windows / DOS thing.

    You should be able to navigate to the file that you want with Konquror. I have biases against most Linux editors so I'm not the one to advise you how to edit files, except that if they are on aNTFS partition I would strongly urge you either not to try or have a very good backup of everything on the partion. If it's a FAT partition then editing is safe, but Knoppix will default to opening the file read-only. See answer #6 for details.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3
    I'm not in Linux. I burned the ISO to boot into Knoppix for some disk tools. But the CD will not boot. While in Windows, when I insert the CD my CD drive is G:\, I am trying to read some of the FAQs on the CD, but I cannot open any of the files on the Knoppix CD

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by jfs4321
    I'm not in Linux. I burned the ISO to boot into Knoppix for some disk tools. But the CD will not boot. While in Windows, when I insert the CD my CD drive is G:\, I am trying to read some of the FAQs on the CD, but I cannot open any of the files on the Knoppix CD
    well if you cant read any of the files and it is unbootable either reburn using a slower speed (sometimes high speeds mess with knoppix) or redownload from a non-torrent site. Bittorrent isnt the best way to get Knoppix in my opinion. if possible try on another system.

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Sydney Australia
    Posts
    264
    sound slike the part of the disk with the directory is viewable, but the part where the data is supposed to be isn't there

    did you burn it real slow ?

  6. #6
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by ILoveKagome
    or redownload from a non-torrent site. Bittorrent isnt the best way to get Knoppix in my opinion. if possible try on another system.
    As far as I'm concerned this may be the worst "advice" I've ever seem given on these forums. Can you support this statement in any way? The BT downloads, in addition to usually being faster than the mirrors, all contain extra error checking that the mirrors lack and can, in fact, correct errors if they occur in the download. BT can even sometimes "fix" a bad download from a mirror without having to download everything again. And most importantly, the BT download does come with the md5 file for the ISO. While it may take hours to download the file again, it should take minutes or seconds to check the file that you downloaded against the md5 sum. If you have a good md5 match you can be 100% certain that the file is not corrupt; there is absolutely no reason to download it again.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3
    Downloaded from Bittorrent and checked the md5. I burned the ISO twice- the second time on speed =2 (where 24 is max). When I put the CD in the drive in Windows, all the files and folders are visible- but I cannot access any of them. The Knoppix folder has files like "KNOPPIX-FAQ" and "KNOPPIX-FAQ-EN". When I try to open any of these text files under windows I get error saying they cannot be opened and to make sure a disk is in the drive specified. This happens on both my laptop and desktop.

    I cannot figure out why this is happening. Anyone have any ideas?

  8. #8
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    I sure can't determine from what you said why you would not be able to open any of the files when you are in Windows. Obviously they would be read-only so you couldn't edit them, but almost all editors would open them and at least let you see them. My guess is that the disk isn't burnt properly and that you're not really seeing what you think and say you are seeing. Granted that's only a guess, but you have not given us much else to go on.

    You might want to try and see if you can drag and drop of copy of one of these files you want to open onto your Windows had drive and try to open it there.

    It seems likely that you didn't burn the ISO properly. See the downloading faq for details. See answer #1 if you don't know where the faq is. I'm expecting that you may have just copied the ISO to the CD, or "extracted" files from the ISO (although the second case would not explain why you can't edit files on the cd, but either would explain why the CD does not boot).
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  9. #9
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by jfs4321
    The Knoppix folder has files like "KNOPPIX-FAQ" and "KNOPPIX-FAQ-EN".
    One more thing, you're making a very basic Windows problem that is causing you a lot of trouble, and not just here: You're letting Windows hide the file extensions from you. That is, there are no such files as listed above, the files have 3 letter extensios on the end, and since you dropped them you likely don't know the real file names or even what types of files they are. Again, see answer #1 for details on how to tell windows to stop hiding this information from you, it's a stupid feature that should never have been enabled and only causes problems.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

Similar Threads

  1. Is it possible access to my windows files from knoppix
    By Paul Weinstock in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-29-2008, 03:52 PM
  2. newbie question about hdd access
    By swelp in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-18-2007, 10:23 AM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-13-2005, 05:06 AM
  4. Newbie Q: ms-win access to persisent_home file?
    By stephen_w_simpson in forum General Support
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-19-2004, 03:36 PM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-19-2003, 03:25 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT picture

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT

$7.99



Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter picture

Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter

$27.50



Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module picture

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module

$699.99



NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping* picture

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*

$24.00



Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver picture

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver

$5.40



Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA picture

Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA

$28.94



HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port  PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+ picture

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+

$16.99



Lot of 5 Cisco 10G SFP+ 850nm 300m Transceiver Module P/N: SFP-10G-SR-10-2415-03 picture

Lot of 5 Cisco 10G SFP+ 850nm 300m Transceiver Module P/N: SFP-10G-SR-10-2415-03

$15.00



Dell 10 Gigabit SFP+ SR Transceiver 0XYD50 NEW SEALED picture

Dell 10 Gigabit SFP+ SR Transceiver 0XYD50 NEW SEALED

$24.99



Arista SFP-10G-SR 10GBASE-SR XVR-10001-20 850nm SFP+ Optical Transceiver picture

Arista SFP-10G-SR 10GBASE-SR XVR-10001-20 850nm SFP+ Optical Transceiver

$30.00