Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Getting Knoppix Onto Laptop

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2

    Getting Knoppix Onto Laptop

    Alright. I have a Dell Latitude Laptop. I have no CD or Floppy Drive. No way to get one.

    I have the latest knoppix iso on my desktop pc and i have xp sp2 running on the laptop. I also have a 2.5in to 3.5in IDE converter so I can hook my laptop HD into my PC and access it.

    My question now is, how would i get knoppix onto my laptop installed and working? I was thinking I could set the laptop hard drive as primary in the pc, boot the knoppix disk, install it to the laptop h.d. and then place the h.d. back in the laptop however i am worried that will work the same way trying to do that with windows did : ERRORs.

    Because, it sets up information specific to the machine its installed on, or will knoppix work this way? If not is there another way? I was thinking maybe... Copy all the contents of the knoppix cd iso to a portion of my Hard drive and telling grub to boot to it? But how? I am unsure.

    Someone please assist me, I hate having to use windows on my godforsaken laptop.

    Thanks,
    Louis

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Sydney Australia
    Posts
    264
    that sounds good
    you will need to reconfigure Kde for the new video card and monitor
    but all else should detect or be figurable

    i'd do it

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2
    Alright., Update.

    I loaded Knoppix onto the hard drive using Knoppix-Install. I used the latest Knoppix-STD distro because, I like it.

    Once I got it running, I booted the knoppix install on the pc where I installed it.

    Next I put the hard drive back in the laptop and booted it. XDM (X) failed to launch. So I switched to root and ran XDM and it loaded the desktop. However, neither of the mice (touchpad or touch thingy) work. An externally connected USB also fails to work.

    Display looks a bit ugly too, any info?

    Thanks,
    Louis

Similar Threads

  1. How Knoppix Saved My Laptop =)
    By sowthpaw in forum Tips and Tricks
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-21-2007, 10:20 PM
  2. Knoppix on Laptop
    By pnoori in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-24-2004, 08:59 AM
  3. Laptop Knoppix
    By dirty30ex in forum Laptops
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-09-2004, 01:05 PM
  4. Knoppix on laptop/wireless LAN
    By garyng in forum Ideas
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-01-2003, 09:05 PM
  5. Knoppix On A Laptop
    By Nthline in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-01-2003, 03:30 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


PfSense/OPNsense 14x1Gb, 8-Core, 8GB RAM, 80GB SSD, AES-NI, QAT (Lanner FW-7573) picture

PfSense/OPNsense 14x1Gb, 8-Core, 8GB RAM, 80GB SSD, AES-NI, QAT (Lanner FW-7573)

$149.00



OPNsense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI picture

OPNsense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI

$195.00



SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED picture

SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED

$999.99



Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet picture

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet

$147.00



OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$145.00



Firewalla Gold Plus 2.5gb W/Rack Mount Kit W/Keystones and Original hardware. picture

Firewalla Gold Plus 2.5gb W/Rack Mount Kit W/Keystones and Original hardware.

$575.00



Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F UTM UTP License Until 2027 Network Security FW VPN picture

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F UTM UTP License Until 2027 Network Security FW VPN

$199.99



OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN

$258.00



Check Point 1590 Firewall & w builtin WiFI and builtin LTE sim slot picture

Check Point 1590 Firewall & w builtin WiFI and builtin LTE sim slot

$95.99



Unfi Security Gateway Pro picture

Unfi Security Gateway Pro

$170.00