Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Can't save knoppix configuration

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    6

    Can't save knoppix configuration

    Hi. I'm a newbie to Knoppix, but have figured out how to save my Knoppix configuration, and have successfully done this several times. However, for no reason I can think of, it's suddenly stopped working. There's plenty of room on the hard drive for it, so that can't be a problem. The error message only tells me that it can't save my configuration for me, which isn't a lot of help.

    Anything I can do to fix it, short of wiping the configuration files and starting again, which I'm unwilling to do if there's a sensible alternative?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    282
    Steve, have you installed knoppix to your hard drive, if so, after running knoppix-installer which option did you choose?

    If you choose "knopiix cd like" then you cant save any configuration as it emulates the live cd. You must start with either the beginner option or
    debian type system. If you have then at a terminal type
    dmesg | grep
    (The | is the "pipe" key not 1 or l)
    There may be info in the system log to help you use page up pge down o scroll and q to quit

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    6
    Nope, I've not installed Knoppix as yet; I'm still trying to get the hang of it before I decide whether to install it (or some other version of Linux). I'm running it from the CD and attempting -- with some success -- to save my configuration (primarily Firefox extensions and settings) to hdb1 (I've got two drives on my PC) so that I can later reboot using knoppix myconfig = scan to get all my Firefox stuff back. Sometimes this works and sometimes it doesn't.

    After posting my initial question I eventually thought I'd re-start from scratch, so I rebooted in Windows, wiped all the Knoppix-related stuff and started again. Most of the time I can now save my configuration, but sometimes it just refuses to let me. Then I just reboot a few times and, eventually, I get to save the new extension I've been trying to keep.

    Most recently, I installed RealPlayer and managed to pursuade Knoppix to save it for me so I didn't have to reinstall it every time I restarted my PC. It hung around on the desktop for a bit and then vanished with neither trace nor good reason that I could tell.

    Presumably I'm doing something wrong, but I can't think of anything I'm doing differently on the occasions Knoppix doesn't want to play.

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    77
    The desktop should be used for icons, small programs and notes. Especially using configuration. If you have HDD space move RealPlayer there instead. Play it from there or make an icon on the desktop.
    Also look in the knoppix/media file and 'ls' it and you'll see the HDD files like hda5 or whatever you hard drive set up is. go there (cd) and you'll see knoppix.sh and configs.tbz files. These files save your config. make a copy of each, in root, (i.e. sudo cp knoppix.sh knoppix0.sh) and now you can reconfig again. Also with kwrite make notes of what you did and when.

    Two other things to mention.
    1. Configuration to floppy will save bookmarks from Firefox/Iceweasel, as a result, many cheap & easy backups.
    2. Have you looked into persistent home? Here you can make your desktop as trashy as you want. hee hee
    (In persistent home you will have a OK box to check during the boot)

    hth any

Similar Threads

  1. Save KNOPPIX configuration in 5.3.1
    By dstarke in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-26-2008, 02:45 PM
  2. How to save configuration in Knoppix 4.0.2
    By kpfuser in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-10-2006, 10:06 PM
  3. Save knoppix configuration to file?
    By TP Diffenbach in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-20-2005, 11:02 AM
  4. knoppix configuration save, and installing ddd via rpm ???
    By metafizz in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-22-2004, 09:29 AM
  5. Where is the Save Knoppix configuration script?
    By pelican in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-07-2004, 01:43 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT picture

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT

$7.99



Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter picture

Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter

$27.50



Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module picture

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module

$699.99



NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping* picture

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*

$24.00



Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver picture

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver

$5.40



Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA picture

Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA

$28.94



HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port  PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+ picture

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+

$16.99



Lot of 5 Cisco 10G SFP+ 850nm 300m Transceiver Module P/N: SFP-10G-SR-10-2415-03 picture

Lot of 5 Cisco 10G SFP+ 850nm 300m Transceiver Module P/N: SFP-10G-SR-10-2415-03

$15.00



Dell 10 Gigabit SFP+ SR Transceiver 0XYD50 NEW SEALED picture

Dell 10 Gigabit SFP+ SR Transceiver 0XYD50 NEW SEALED

$24.99



Arista SFP-10G-SR 10GBASE-SR XVR-10001-20 850nm SFP+ Optical Transceiver picture

Arista SFP-10G-SR 10GBASE-SR XVR-10001-20 850nm SFP+ Optical Transceiver

$30.00