Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: NFS/NetBoot

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    6

    NFS/NetBoot

    I was wondering if the following setup is possible on Knoppix.

    I want to boot from a floppy disk which would download Knoppix from my Intranet web server and "install" it from there.

    I would prefer it to boot in the English language automatically as well as boot up in text mode only (I believe run Level 2)

    I believe the parameters I need to use would be
    Code:
    knoppix lang=us knoppix 2
    And from there automatically start ssh running, mount an NFS drive, start a program running etc ....

    Anyone seen a customization already done that does this or know of where I can start on it? I've already got an NFS server setup as well as Internal Webs and ftp server as well (Not tftp though)

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041

    Re: NFS/NetBoot

    --Why? Does the computer you want to run it on not have a CDROM drive or something?

    --What do you mean by "install" - please be more specific about your intended usage.

    Quote Originally Posted by TDSK
    I was wondering if the following setup is possible on Knoppix.

    I want to boot from a floppy disk which would download Knoppix from my Intranet web server and "install" it from there.

    I would prefer it to boot in the English language automatically as well as boot up in text mode only (I believe run Level 2)

    I believe the parameters I need to use would be
    Code:
    knoppix lang=us knoppix 2
    And from there automatically start ssh running, mount an NFS drive, start a program running etc ....

    Anyone seen a customization already done that does this or know of where I can start on it? I've already got an NFS server setup as well as Internal Webs and ftp server as well (Not tftp though)

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    6
    Got 6 different systems at home that I intend to use it on and it's cheaper to buy $10 Floppy Drives than $30 CD-ROM's (Used ones of course)

    By Install I just meant decompressed like it normally is when it's done off of the CD-ROM. (That's why I put the quotes around the word install as I couldn't think of the proper word at the time)


    I've currently got a diskless system setup and running on these other systems I mentioned above, but it doesn't run some of the stuff I want as it's a very small linux install. I've already got all the floppies and everything and the systems are all caseless systems that I've setup to run two motherboards with one power supply. Very Basic with only NIC's right now (a couple do have Video Cards as the Mobo's won't boot w/o them)

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041
    --If these 6 systems have HD's with 700Meg free space on them, you can copy or FTP the knoppix\knoppix file from the CD to c:\knoppix\knoppix. Then make a boot floppy and go from there.

    --Otherwise it looks like you'll have to google for a 2-disk Xwindow system or something and mount things over NFS. Might not be the best way to go.

    Quote Originally Posted by TDSK
    Got 6 different systems at home that I intend to use it on and it's cheaper to buy $10 Floppy Drives than $30 CD-ROM's (Used ones of course)

    By Install I just meant decompressed like it normally is when it's done off of the CD-ROM. (That's why I put the quotes around the word install as I couldn't think of the proper word at the time)


    I've currently got a diskless system setup and running on these other systems I mentioned above, but it doesn't run some of the stuff I want as it's a very small linux install. I've already got all the floppies and everything and the systems are all caseless systems that I've setup to run two motherboards with one power supply. Very Basic with only NIC's right now (a couple do have Video Cards as the Mobo's won't boot w/o them)

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Podunk, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    470
    Are you wanting to run diskless machines? Boot the OS from another running machine?

    If so look into getting floppy boot roms from rom-o-matic and have a computer running knoppix from cd and setup and start the knoopix terminal server.

    rock

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix netboot
    By Jken in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-10-2004, 03:22 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Radius Pivot II Display NuBus Video Card 632-0030 picture

Vintage Radius Pivot II Display NuBus Video Card 632-0030

$149.00



Rare Vintage Sanyo MBC-1150 Terminal With Keyboard CPM2.2 — Boots - DW picture

Rare Vintage Sanyo MBC-1150 Terminal With Keyboard CPM2.2 — Boots - DW

$1000.00



Vintage 486 PC Motherboard IBM CPU ISA Cards RAM Novell NetWare 3.12 Computer picture

Vintage 486 PC Motherboard IBM CPU ISA Cards RAM Novell NetWare 3.12 Computer

$249.99



Vintage NICE Plus 486 USA Motherboard Intel i486 DX2 CPU Manual Expansion Card picture

Vintage NICE Plus 486 USA Motherboard Intel i486 DX2 CPU Manual Expansion Card

$224.99



Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot picture

Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot

$316.95



Vintage Mouserug Pendleton Mouse Pad Red Tan Black Aztec Circle of Life Elders picture

Vintage Mouserug Pendleton Mouse Pad Red Tan Black Aztec Circle of Life Elders

$50.00



Star Micronics NX-1000 Multi-Font Dot Matrix Printer New In Box NIB Vintage C64 picture

Star Micronics NX-1000 Multi-Font Dot Matrix Printer New In Box NIB Vintage C64

$199.99



RARE Vintage Apple Macintosh M1242 Adjustable Ergonomic Keyboard M1242 picture

RARE Vintage Apple Macintosh M1242 Adjustable Ergonomic Keyboard M1242

$99.00



VINTAGE Dell Dimension XPS D233-Pentium II-128MB Ram 13.5GB HDD Matrix GFx W98SE picture

VINTAGE Dell Dimension XPS D233-Pentium II-128MB Ram 13.5GB HDD Matrix GFx W98SE

$229.99



NEW* AMD Athlon 2.5GHz 4GB ATI X300 Win98 XP DOS Multiboot Retro PC w/ 50 Games picture

NEW* AMD Athlon 2.5GHz 4GB ATI X300 Win98 XP DOS Multiboot Retro PC w/ 50 Games

$349.00