-
Is Knoppix right for me?
Hi,
I'm trying to see which Linux distribution is right for me. Knoppix could fill the bill, but I'm concerned that
its focus as a leading-edge portable O/S makes it less suitable as a desktop O/S.
Security is the main thing that comes to mind.
For example, since Knoppix is ahead of the normal Debian stable distribution the normal security updates from the Debian stable security team are not available. Are security updates available for Knoppix from another source, apt or otherwise?
The portability of Knoppix is an interesting feature. It would be useful to use the same O/S at home and on the road. What percentage of Internet cafes are prepared to allow you to boot your own O/S?
At the moment, I'm thinking that the stable release of Debian 4.0 would be a good choice but I presume it will fall behind Knoppix sooner rather than later.
I'm also wondering whether I should spend more time playing with Ubuntu but its divergence from Debian worries me a bit. Knoppix seems a lot closer to Debian than Ubuntu.
Any comments welcome.
A.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Computer Photo History Altair 8800 Philco 212 CDC 6600 DEC PDP-8 Apple 1 UNIVAC
$69.99

S-100 Vector Graphic 64K Ram Board (Altair, IMSAI)
$99.95

S-100 Vector Graphic 12K PROM/RAM Board (Altair, IMSAI)
$99.95

S-100 Bus Handbook Altair 8800 IMSAI 8080 Board Schematics Xitan Pertec Cromemco
$89.99

Intel 4004IBM Mark 1 UNIVAC Cray-1 Babbage ENIAC Apple 1 Steve Jobs MITS Altair
$50.99

1979 Microprocessor Projects Altair 8800 Intel 8080 KIM-1 COSMAC Elf SWTPC 6800
$59.99

Vintage Digital Research ZSID 1.4 8" Floppy Disk CP/M Z80 Software S-100 Altair
$69.99

640pg Best of BYTE Magazine 1984 Mac Steve Jobs Altair 8800 IBM 5100 Bob Moog
$85.00

CP/M 86 1.1R 8086 Highmonitor 8 Inch Floppy Diskette 80s IMSAI Altair
$29.99

ALTAIR Bitcoin Mining Solutions PDU IEC SERIES 100-250V 30A/24A Power Distribute
$99.00