Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Booting problem...usual stuff i guess

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    3

    Booting problem...usual stuff i guess

    Well, I',m a complete newbie, but i've burned knoppix to the cd-rw (8x speed) so far, checked with the m5 thingy...it was fine and started the computer, it started booting showing knoppix (V 5.1 2007-01-04), asked to press enter, I did, but after that it just displayed a starting message with dots which led to nothing because eventually it would say the boot had failed...and i had to press any key to restart, after which the same happened. What's wrong with it?

    Any help would be apreciated,

    JP

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: Booting problem...usual stuff i guess

    Quote Originally Posted by JP137
    Well, I',m a complete newbie, but i've burned knoppix to the cd-rw (8x speed)..... What's wrong with it?
    Sounds like you burnt it as an image or you would not have even got the first prompt. I wonder about that 8x, usually CD-rw is limited to 4x unless you use special high speed media (and, curiously the high speed media will not burn properly at lower speeds like 4x). But I'll assume that you have special high speed CD-RW media and a burner that can burn it. If that's the case there are two likely problems: you might have a problem reading the media from bad media or marginal optics in the drive; but the most likely problem is that you need one or more cheat codes to help with the hardware detection process. See the cheat codes file that came with your torrent download, or see the cheat code section of the wiki. One comon cheat code many people need is knoppix nodma, but without knowing a lot more about your harware it's difficult to make optimum suggestions.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    3

    Problem half-solved

    Hey, I was actually able to solve this problem overnight, I woke up and tried puting the cd-rw in the burning drive, and knoppix worked, but once in my regular cd reading only drive, it won't start...why?

    PS: Can I find files from my windows partitions in knoppix (i.e. I've got 2 partitios, one with W98, another with XP and an empty one, can I use it for storage? Is it possible, or advisable, to install an antivirus to browse the web when using it?

    JP

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Sydney Australia
    Posts
    264
    my brand cd-rw are 10x but they usually get a 2x option too

    check the dates on the cd read only drive, it will prolly be pre-2002ish
    older lasers or drives don't read modern media too well
    if you had used a one time cd-r at a nice slow speed it would prolly be ok.
    like i can't use cd-rw in my car stereo, but cd-r works ok

  5. #5
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: Problem half-solved

    Quote Originally Posted by JP137
    Hey, I was actually able to solve this problem overnight, I woke up and tried puting the cd-rw in the burning drive, and knoppix worked, but once in my regular cd reading only drive, it won't start...why?
    For the reasons I already said, the optics in the cd drive may be starting to go marginal (usually dirty), or the cd drive needs the nodma cheat code.

    Quote Originally Posted by JP137
    PS: Can I find files from my windows partitions in knoppix (i.e. I've got 2 partitios, one with W98, another with XP and an empty one, can I use it for storage? Is it possible, or advisable, to install an antivirus to browse the web when using it?
    Knoppix should find the files on the windws partitions just fine. You can save data to that empty partition if it is a FAT partition, but it is not saft to do if it's a NTFS partition. See answer 6 for more info. If it's really an emty partition it's not to hard to deletean empty NTFS partition and put a FAT partition in it's place, but it is something that could muck up your entire disk if you don't know what you are doing.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

Similar Threads

  1. Downloading Knoppix 5.1 - Dual Boot plans as usual-new here.
    By AmpLiF1eR in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-05-2007, 10:33 AM
  2. Version 4.0 release guess
    By paunchy in forum German Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-20-2004, 01:31 AM
  3. is it usual for apache to need to be reconfigued upon hd
    By objectconstant in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-10-2004, 06:07 PM
  4. Not the usual Kernel upgrade problems
    By spiritwing in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-11-2004, 05:48 AM
  5. So, um, I guess I'll give this a try...
    By frankiejr in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-28-2003, 08:08 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Supermicro SuperServer E300-15 - SYS-e300-9C - 16GB RAM 240GB Samsung SSD picture

Supermicro SuperServer E300-15 - SYS-e300-9C - 16GB RAM 240GB Samsung SSD

$199.99



HP Proliant MicroServer Gen 8 2.23GHz Xeon 16GB RAM NO SSD picture

HP Proliant MicroServer Gen 8 2.23GHz Xeon 16GB RAM NO SSD

$249.99



Supermicro 505-2   Server picture

Supermicro 505-2 Server

$280.00



Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC picture

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC

$250.00



Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram  240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ* picture

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*

$369.99



New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G picture

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G

$449.99



SuperMicro 4U CSE 847 36 Bay LFF Barebone 2x 1280W w/ 2x Bays 2.5 Rear w/Trays picture

SuperMicro 4U CSE 847 36 Bay LFF Barebone 2x 1280W w/ 2x Bays 2.5 Rear w/Trays

$499.99



Supermicro 5019D-4C-FN8TP Xeon D-2123IT (4C/8T) 64GB DDR4 10GbE 480GB 1U Server picture

Supermicro 5019D-4C-FN8TP Xeon D-2123IT (4C/8T) 64GB DDR4 10GbE 480GB 1U Server

$689.00



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99



Supermicro E300-12C Mini 1U Barebone X12SCV-LVDS LGA1200 SNK-P0073A4 w/ Adapter picture

Supermicro E300-12C Mini 1U Barebone X12SCV-LVDS LGA1200 SNK-P0073A4 w/ Adapter

$225.00