-
Using Partition Magic version 8 to setup Knoppix Partition
Hi I'm fairly new to Linux.
I've ran several of the live CDs before and am ready to install linux on either a partition or
a second hard drive.
I am running a Gateway GM 5076E. It has a 500 GB hard drive partitioned into two sections.
One is the C. drive and has about 475 GB and the recovery partition drive D. has about 25 GB.
I purchased a copy of Partition Magic version 8. Is it possible to resize the C. drive down by 40 GB
and use that unallocated 40 GB for a bootable linux version of Knoppix? I ordered the current DVD version
yesterday along with the most recent version of FreeBSD. As I understand it from my readings hard drive
can have up to four primary partitions that can be booted from.
Can I have Windows XP Media Center, linux, FreeBSD, and perhaps FreeDOS all installed on their own
bootable partitions?
Would love to be able to install a second hard drive and install the latter three on it.
Only my new Gateway has one of those Raid controllers and a Raid hard drive. All the three internal
connections and only connects to that type of drive. The problem is all of my other previous hard drives
were all enhanced IDE. The computer does not seem to any connections for those types of drives.
Is there anything on the market that would allow me to connect a Raid cable today enhanced IDE
drive. I've tested "Smart Boot Manager" in the past on older machines to decide which drive
gets booted from. The computer I'm using now wouldn't you know didn't come with a floppy drive.
So I can't write "Smart Boot Manager" to the boot segment. It's impossible to do it by writing
it to the partition Windows sets on (NTFS). Could I install it to the D. recovery drive?
It sets on a 40 GB Fat32 partition. I'm not really sure if the computer actually boots off of
the recovery partition and then does a drive letter swap much like the old DOS compression
utilities such as Stacker did in days gone by.
Would appreciate any links to tutorials and forums that discussed creating partitions and running
optional operating systems on computers such as Hewlett-Packard, Gateway, or Dell.
Similar Threads
-
By Nevermore in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 1
Last Post: 07-17-2009, 01:59 PM
-
By l4voiefr in forum Laptops
Replies: 0
Last Post: 08-10-2006, 07:17 AM
-
By bono in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 5
Last Post: 08-08-2005, 08:10 AM
-
By FuzzieBio in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 7
Last Post: 03-02-2004, 03:50 PM
-
By Tortoise in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 12
Last Post: 06-27-2003, 01:40 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

MITS 88 SIOB Serial-TT, An Single Serial I/O Port S-100Board For the Altair 8800
$189.95

MITS Altair 8800 4K RAM Board
$675.00

Vintage Octagon 256K Static RAM (32 x HM6264LP-12) Board S-100 Altair IMSAI
$150.00

MITS ALTAIR 680b Turnkey Computer
$2550.00

S-100 Vector Graphic 64K Ram Board (Altair, IMSAI)
$99.95

S-100 Vector Graphic 12K PROM/RAM Board (Altair, IMSAI)
$99.95

Altair MITS S100 Backplane 8080A S-100 Replica IMSAI CP/M (bare board)
$40.00

S-100 backplane motherboard bare PCB 9 slot (for Altair/IMSAI)
$34.99

CP/M 86 1.1R 8086 Highmonitor 8 Inch Floppy Diskette 80s IMSAI Altair
$29.99

ALTAIR Bitcoin Mining Solutions PDU IEC SERIES 100-250V 30A/24A Power Distribute
$99.00