Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Knoppix doesnt show up.

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3

    Knoppix doesnt show up.

    I have installed Knoppix 5.1.1 DVD Version to my harddrive. I set it up as a debian install and made it install grub in the MBR. When I boot up all that shows up though is Windows XP MEDIA Edition and Windows Vista. I dont even think grub is showing up. I think the boot.ini is just showing up instead. How would I go in and add Knoppix which is on my /dev/sda4 ? Before when I installed the CD Version everything worked fine but for some reason I cant get the DVD version to show up. How would I add my knoppix install on /dev/sda4 to my boot list?

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    6
    If boot.ini is consulted, then grub is not in the MBR, but Windows standard MBR. Perhaps you installed Vista after Knoppix (Kanotix)?

    Try to boot again from DVD and check whether the /dev/sda4 in in /boot/grub/menu.lst
    If it is, then somehow grub stage 1 loader was phased out of MBR and you'll need to reinstall grub in MBR.

    Do a:

    # apt-get install grub-doc

    and see ``3.3 Installing GRUB using grub-install'' chapter.

    AFAIR, the image on Kanotix is under /boot, so you may need to use --root-directory=/boot to grub-install, but see the manual. I haven't tried it yet myself (this information is just because no one else replied), so be careful and read three times, or you might leave a non-bootable system after running grub-install.

    In that case, just reboot from DVD. And DO BACK UP IMPORTANT FILES PRIOR TO ALL OF THIS! (sorry for shouting)

    Marv

Similar Threads

  1. Flash memory and External HD doesnt show up
    By Dr.Death in forum Laptops
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-21-2006, 11:27 AM
  2. Two CDROMs and both show Knoppix CD Contents
    By sazeile in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-03-2005, 05:04 AM
  3. Knoppix 3.4 wont show on my monitor!!
    By Robbie in forum General Support
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-20-2004, 07:49 AM
  4. German Knoppix radio show
    By eadz in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-24-2003, 08:45 AM
  5. show window contents while dragging in KDE for Knoppix?
    By bubazoo in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-21-2003, 07:06 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver picture

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver

$5.40



Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter picture

Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter

$27.50



NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping* picture

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*

$24.00



Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module picture

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module

$699.99



SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT picture

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT

$7.99



Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA picture

Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA

$28.94



New Cisco SFP-10G-AOC3M= Compatible 10G SFP+ 3m (10 ft.) Active Optical Cable picture

New Cisco SFP-10G-AOC3M= Compatible 10G SFP+ 3m (10 ft.) Active Optical Cable

$49.95



HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port  PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+ picture

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+

$16.99



CISCO 10GBASE-SR SFP

CISCO 10GBASE-SR SFP "Lot of 4” SFP-10G-SR

$47.99



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99