Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Why I used cdrecord from the CLI and no GUI

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933

    Why I used cdrecord from the CLI and no GUI

    Back when I was still amongst the uninformed masses and still using wimpdoze it took nearly all of my processor and RAM to burn a cd. Now, running X but not using a GUI for cdrecord I use about 0.3% of my cpu and a total of 2.2% of my RAM! Is wimpdoze a resource hog or WHAT?

    Learning to use the CLI to record discs is not that hard. There are all sorts of tutorials but one of my favorites is here
    They give plenty of examples too. Also check out Dave Bechtels page of tips page.
    He has listed some good examples for burning cd's and copying floppies.
    Remember: you can always use the -dummy option w/ cdrecord and not burn any coasters. Don't forget to look at cdrdao, cdda2wav, readcd, and mkisofs.

    In case you weren't aware, these programs I have just listed are what GUI's like Xcdroast and K3b use to burn a disc it's just that with a GUI you get a nice pretty screen to look at. Keep this is mind: in the time it takes you to configure one of these you could have already burned your disc from the CLI.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    Mkisofs and cdrecord are two tools well worth taking the small amount of time they take to learn. I have multiple computers but not multible burners, but since these are command line tools it's easy to ssh into another computer and use these tools to do my burning. I have put an alias in my .bashrc file too in order to make burning iso's even quicker.

    alias burn='cdrecord -v speed=4 dev=0,0,0'

    Now when I want to burn an image (assuming it's already made), all I have to do is cd into the directory where it's located, type "burn", type a few letters of the name of the file, hit tab to complete the rest of the name of the file, and hit enter to burn. Burning can't get any easier or faster than that. It would be easy to make a mkisofs alias too if I wanted to save a coulple of key strokes. K3B is nice but not nearly this fast and is still kind of buggy too.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    Another cli tool that should get more airplay (especially to newbies) is wget. Wget is a command line utility that you can use to download files. It is very feature rich. I always use it to download Knoppix. I see a lot of posts on this forum with problems related to bad downloads. I tend to think that using wget would aleviate some of these problems. If you use the -c option wget can resume lost downloads. Since it is a command line based tool, it has the same remote acess benefits as cdrecord does. Some computers on my lan have larger hard drives than others. When I need to download knoppix, I usually ssh into a computer with a larger drive, copy the http or ftp link to the knoppix image, and paste it into the cli with Konsole. Looks something like this:

    wget -c ftp://csociety-ftp.ecn.purdue.edu/pu...3-05-20-EN.iso

    This will download the image on the remote machine. I really don't use anything else to download large files except wget. It's great and you'll usually find it on just about every linux system.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    Code:
    # wget -c ftp://mirror.mcs.anl.gov/pub/suse/i3...86-Int-RC2.iso
    --16:36:47--  ftp://mirror.mcs.anl.gov/pub/suse/i3...86-Int-RC2.iso
               => `SuSE-8.2-LiveEval-i386-Int-RC2.iso'
    Resolving mirror.mcs.anl.gov... done.
    Connecting to mirror.mcs.anl.gov[140.221.9.138]:21... connected.
    Logging in as anonymous ... Logged in!
    ==> SYST ... done.    ==> PWD ... done.
    ==> TYPE I ... done.  ==> CWD /pub/suse/i386/live-eval-8.2 ... done.
    ==> PASV ... done.    ==> RETR SuSE-8.2-LiveEval-i386-Int-RC2.iso ... done.
    Length: 680,067,072 (unauthoritative)
    
    100%[====================================>] 680,067,072  242.78K/s    ETA 00:00
    
    17:22:25 (242.78 KB/s) - `SuSE-8.2-LiveEval-i386-Int-RC2.iso' saved [680067072]
    17.22 minutes to download 680+ megs on a cable modem @ an average of 242.78K- not too shabby eh?

    Code:
    7f6a7e347067a5478f87e8948ed40177  SuSE-8.2-LiveEval-i386-Int-RC2.iso md5sum
    Code:
    $ md5sum SuSE-8.2-LiveEval-i386-Int-RC2.iso
    7f6a7e347067a5478f87e8948ed40177  SuSE-8.2-LiveEval-i386-Int-RC2.iso
    Not only is wget fast, easy and straightforward, it has fewer calories than the next leading brand and it helps reduce the bandwidth usage on the servers that so graciously host projects just like Knoppix.

    As aay has already pointed out the -c option will resume a broken download. Ever tried to download with a browser only to have it stall at 80%? It sucks I tell you. :P

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Iowa U.S.A.
    Posts
    226
    Hello all,
    Thanks for discussing cdrecord.
    I am using a shell to blank RWCD and
    make backups. All works well. But
    I miss one feature from the GUI -- I
    do not see any progress. I get spooked
    out thinking nothing is happening, and
    the old windoz behaviour come out in me
    and I stat doing multiple clicks-- all of
    which linux faithfull carry out!

    So, when my shell is running -- is there a
    process indicator I can add to my script?

    Best Wishes
    paradocs

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by paradocs

    So, when my shell is running -- is there a
    process indicator I can add to my script?

    Best Wishes
    paradocs
    Look at man cdrecord and the -v option.

Similar Threads

  1. cdrecord does not recognise the cd-drive
    By gjhicks in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-04-2005, 12:18 PM
  2. CDRtools Package & CDrecord Installing? HOW?
    By Johnny3 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-04-2003, 09:01 PM
  3. unable to find cdrecord executable
    By extradudeguy in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-20-2003, 02:10 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS picture

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS

$199.00



Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC picture

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC

$250.00



Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On picture

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On

$450.00



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99



New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G picture

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G

$449.99



Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram  240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ* picture

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*

$369.99



Supermicro E200-8D Barebones Server Chassis Xeon D-1528 X10SDV-6C-TLN4F 2x10GbE picture

Supermicro E200-8D Barebones Server Chassis Xeon D-1528 X10SDV-6C-TLN4F 2x10GbE

$445.00



SuperMicro 4U CSE 847 36 Bay LFF Barebone 2x 1280W w/ 2x Bays 2.5 Rear w/Trays picture

SuperMicro 4U CSE 847 36 Bay LFF Barebone 2x 1280W w/ 2x Bays 2.5 Rear w/Trays

$499.99



Supermicro 505-2   Server picture

Supermicro 505-2 Server

$280.00



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99