Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Desparately seeking CDRW / DVD

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    154

    Desparately seeking CDRW / DVD

    I have successfully installed Knoppix 3.2, and used mkdesktophdicons to find my harddrives, but I cannot find my cdrw/dvd or my dvd player (I have two).
    I don't think there is a hardware problem, as the cd player will play music cds from at least one of them, and some command or other I was messing with tolkd me that they are both there:
    scsibus 0
    0,0,0 0) RW/DVD
    0,1,0 1) DVDROM

    SCSIbus 1
    1,0,0 100) Floppy

    How to I access these from the desktop, and ideally put icons to them on the desktop?
    Thanks

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    Before you ran mkdesktophdicons did you do "rebuildfstab -r" as root? Until recently I thought that this would get the icons back on the desktop successfully. In fact it does put the icons there, but getting them to work actually requires a little more effort. Here's what you need to do. Assuming you have done what's mentioned above ("rebuildfstab -r" as root and "mkdesktophdicons" as a normal user) then you need to do the following:

    First you must open /etc/fstab in a text editor (as root). You can open a shell, log in as root, and type the following: kedit /etc/fstab (I assume that as a newbie you don't want to use vi so kedit will probably work best).

    You should see a line like this in fstab:
    /dev/cdrom /cdrom iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0

    If this line has a # mark in front of it, then you should delete it.

    You should really change the mount point for your cd. It should be listed in fstab as mounted at /cdrom. Change that to /mnt/cdrom.

    Save your changes.

    Exit the editor.

    From the root shell type this: "cd /mnt" and then "mkdir /cdrom" (edit: this is wrong as indicated by the error message below! sorry. after you cd into /mnt you should just type "mkdir cdrom")

    We are almost done.

    Go to your desktop.

    Remove the icon that should have been made when you ran mkdesktophdicons.

    Right click on the destkop and selcet "Create New" and then "CD/DVD-ROM Device"

    Select the "Device" tab at the top.

    From the pull down menu select your CD/DVD device (in the case above it would be /dev/cdrom.

    Click "Ok" at the bottom of window and then your icon should be on the desktop and working.

    If you want, you can also delete the cdrom directory from / (root directory).

    Let us know if there are problems.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    154
    yep, I did run rebuildfstab -r as boot, although I don't understand what that does...

    I opened /etc/fstab as root.

    The line (after I added /mnt) reads:
    /dev/cdrom /mnt iso9600 defaults, ro, user, noexec, noauto 0 0

    There is no #

    I type cd /mnt, fine, then mkdir /cdrom, and get [mkdir: cannot create directory '/cdrom': File exists]

    I delete all of the cd rom icons from the desktop (they don't work anyway)
    Go to create new cd/dvd. select device, and choose either
    /dev/cdrom (/mnt/cdrom)
    or /dev/sda (/mnt/sda)

    When I click on the new icon I get Error - KDesktop
    Could not mount device.
    The reported error was:
    mount: mount point /mnt/cdrom does not exist

    There is a cd in each drive.

    When I select sda, the disc spins, and opens, but all of the dirs and files are random nonsense (not even alphanumerics, they are little squares and foreign chars), and don't seem to bear any reselmblance to the read file contents.

    Any thoughts?
    Thanks a lot!

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    I'm really sorry. I made a mistake in what I told you above (I edited it).

    If you just become root and do this: "mkdir /mnt/cdrom", it should work (I posted above to cd into /mnt first, but that isn't necessary - just as long as you specify the full path which in this case is /mnt/cdrom.) You still need to make the desktop icon as stated above, but when you do it should work.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    154
    That's the puppy! I have my CDRW/DVD drive working fine now, thanks!
    How do I get my second cd / dvd drive to be recognised, and how do I distinguish the two?
    Thanks for the help,

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    154
    Also where do I find this using knoqueror?

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by Tortoise
    That's the puppy! I have my CDRW/DVD drive working fine now, thanks!
    How do I get my second cd / dvd drive to be recognised, and how do I distinguish the two?
    Thanks for the help,
    Make a directory /mnt/dvd and use that for the mount point and name the icon for the desktop DVD. Also check the entry in the fstab for the drive.
    [edit]
    In the location bar in Konqueror just enter /mnt/cdrom as you are typing you will see a partial completion use the arrow to select if you wish.
    [/edit]

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    154
    Sorry, I don't see an entry in fstab - how do I put one in, I mean how do I know which params to use?
    Thanks

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Just make it the same as your other one except change the /dev/hd? and the /mnt/cdrom to /mnt/dvd if that is the mount point you created.

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    154
    Thanks - now they both (the new one and the one that previously pointed to my cdrw) point to my dvd drive...
    I know I'm doing something wrong...
    Thanks for your patience...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. problem with cdrw
    By ibrewale in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-10-2004, 04:44 AM
  2. CDR -v- CDRW
    By keithb in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-26-2004, 08:49 AM
  3. Does it fit on CDRW?
    By markusha in forum General Support
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-01-2004, 01:27 PM
  4. Fstab for CDRW?
    By wfb in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-04-2003, 09:36 PM
  5. Where is my CDRW?
    By Viro in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-26-2003, 07:09 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel  Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD picture

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD

$1599.99



IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM

$179.99



Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For  RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series picture

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series

$375.00



IBM EMC 091-000-091 17 Inch Rackmount LCD Keyboard KVM Console 03N7012 picture

IBM EMC 091-000-091 17 Inch Rackmount LCD Keyboard KVM Console 03N7012

$109.99



IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU picture

IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU

$999.99



IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1) picture

IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1)

$150.00



IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES picture

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES

$110.30



1 X IBM 720 POWER SERVER WITH 32 GB RAM picture

1 X IBM 720 POWER SERVER WITH 32 GB RAM

$344.97



IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon  E5620 picture

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620

$199.99



DELL POWEREDGE HP IBM SERVER XEON GOLD 5315Y 8 CORE PROCESSOR 3.2 GHZ SRKXR picture

DELL POWEREDGE HP IBM SERVER XEON GOLD 5315Y 8 CORE PROCESSOR 3.2 GHZ SRKXR

$1100.00