Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20

Thread: Can't install Knoppix 5.1.1 with installer

  1. #11
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    19
    Alright, I'll give it a try and see how it goes. Thanks for the link. I guess you're right with an empty computer now is the time to experiment and try new things. Thanks! I'll let you all know if it works.

  2. #12
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    19
    Well somehow I edited the partition table to get the installer to go for knoppix. So I have knoppix 5.1.1 on my hard drive. Now my problem is with getting my internet up. I had the same problem with 5.0.1, but managed to get it up with commands like ifup, ifconfig, and netcardconfig. However they don't seem to work this time, but anyway I'll post this in a seperate topic on the networking forum.

    Thanks to everyone for their help!

  3. #13
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by Levi32
    Now my problem is with getting my internet up.
    A problem I've seem reported by so many people who tried to install Knoppix over the last 4 years that I've long ago lost count. This is a common problem.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  4. #14
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    7
    I guess Im lucky, I have a AMD64 T6420 Emachine with 2 gig ram and am using a 10gig IDE HD for testing Linux. I have tried Debian 3.01 and it is just too out of date, it would not mount my USB stick, I tried fixing it but managed to break it with a download and install of Hotplug ver 2 guess it didn't like that.
    I downloaded Knoppix 5.1.1 CD-2007-01-04 and ran the "knoppix-installer" answered the questions
    as best I could and it installed without complaints. I see my USB stick but cannot mount it perhaps that is because I used it with the LiveCD as a home for a persistant storage, will have to try using the LiveCD with it to see what happens. I would like to give that Debian Etch a shot, I would like to see how it compares with all the other flavors of Debian that I have tried.

  5. #15
    Hi guys,

    I tried to install Knoppix 5.1.1 to the hard drive of both my PC and laptop and in each case got the message that the installer had run out of space. The partition on the PC is 9 gigs while the laptop is 5, I really want to get it installed on my laptop becauseof the full working NDISwrapper and I want to use my laptop wireless (it works in live CD mode) but I want to abandon Windows.

    How much space does 5.1.1. need? I've installed older versions of Knoppix in the past and never had this problem.

    Martin

  6. #16
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    7
    Just use knoppix-installer on command line. 9 gigs should be enough, I had 10 but still had a lot of space left. I later got Sidux from www.sidux.com
    check it out it is debian also debian sid, they maintain their own version but i have to tell ya it is the fastest distro that I have tried. I am not meaning to put Knoppix down, I love the LiveCD but there are an awfull lot of quirks with it installed to your HD, if you go with sidux on a try you can use their livecd or do their install. good luck no matter what you decide to do. Linux can be fun.

  7. #17
    Hi Wirechief,

    I checked the partition size, it's actually 6.5 and not 9, I was looking at the wrong paprtition. Do you know how much Knoppix needs? The partition on the laptop is 5.8, I could resize if I know how much is needed.

    Martin

  8. #18
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    7
    Do you have Windows on that same drive ? or is that a single drive ? I have installed other Linux distros on about that size I guess its a matter of what gets put on it, I believe the download expands out to a little over 2 gig so from that i would think you would have enough room. I have it installed on a 10gig drive but I dont have it mounted and I am having so much fun with Sidux I doubt I will for a while, its one of those things when a distro catchs your eye and you really like it you dont wanna put it down for a while, Ive been using Sidux for about 4 days now, they use the latest stuff thats what has be so eager to use it.

  9. #19
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    282
    My Knoppix 5.1.1 install went smoothly with a / parition of just 6G, and a /swap partition of 400M. After install I ran
    df -h

    and if I remember correctly only about 37% space was used. I have a multiboot system on my computer and no distro takes more than 4G.
    I now use a separate /home partition for knoppix which frees up space on the / partition.

    As for network problem, with 5.1.1 my ethernet card is known as eth1, most other distros, eth0. The ethernet enumertaion can be found looking through /var/log/messages or eaiser still

    dmesg | grep eth

    Hope that helps.

  10. #20

    I can't even find the installer

    Installation is mentioned in the FAQs and I see several threads here mentioning problems with the installer. I've got the DVD. The downloaded iso had the correct md5sum as does the DVD.

    The menu has about a million entries and I had hoped that "installer" was mentioned in there somewhere but I can't find it. There is a host of "Samsung" icons on the desktop but no installer. I checked out the boot options before booting and there is nothing in there about installing.

    How do I run the installer?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. how to install linux without using the boot installer?
    By Josh83 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-05-2005, 09:21 PM
  2. 3.3 HD install via knoppix-installer (partition problems)
    By Kumagoro in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-01-2005, 04:26 AM
  3. cannot hdd install /w knoppix-installer
    By rushman8282 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-30-2005, 03:38 AM
  4. knoppix-installer: debian vs knoppix install? which one?
    By torchZ06 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-21-2004, 06:39 PM
  5. HD-install with knoppix-installer without lilo ????????
    By fritschi in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-06-2004, 12:02 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation picture

Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation

$500.00



HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer picture

HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer

$224.72



HP 13210-60001 Disc Drive Interface PCB HP 7900A 7901A Vintage picture

HP 13210-60001 Disc Drive Interface PCB HP 7900A 7901A Vintage

$225.61



Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25 picture

Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25

$799.00



Vtg IBM Mainframe Prototype Chip Module Lot 146 pc 1988-1993 ES/9000 Lab Arcive picture

Vtg IBM Mainframe Prototype Chip Module Lot 146 pc 1988-1993 ES/9000 Lab Arcive

$649.00



Commodore 64 PC with Model 1541 Diskette Drive and Flight Simulator II *READ* picture

Commodore 64 PC with Model 1541 Diskette Drive and Flight Simulator II *READ*

$199.99



Vintage Mainframe Computer Disk Drive Pack Dyson SMD 5 Level Disks picture

Vintage Mainframe Computer Disk Drive Pack Dyson SMD 5 Level Disks

$79.00



Rare Vintage Mainframe Burroughs Discrete-Transistor Cordwood Module B2500/B5000 picture

Rare Vintage Mainframe Burroughs Discrete-Transistor Cordwood Module B2500/B5000

$99.95



Vintage UNIVAC 3620670-01 Mainframe Logic Board 15MHz Sperry Computer PCB picture

Vintage UNIVAC 3620670-01 Mainframe Logic Board 15MHz Sperry Computer PCB

$98.95



IBM 3274-51C Controller 3270 mainframe 8

IBM 3274-51C Controller 3270 mainframe 8" floppy tested to power on

$500.00