-
Administrator
Site Admin-
The most common way to setup a network when using a Linksys router is not to make any settings at all, just do DHCP to the router and let it make the assignments. One down side to this is that it may be hard to lock particular local IP addresses to particular computers, and this makes port forwarding for servers a pain. But if that's not an issue I would certainly try to go with DHCP.
I'm mystified as to where the 172.16 addresses are coming from. This is a private unroutable range, so it can't have anything to do with your ISP's real DNS servers. I'm not even clear if it's coming from your router or from something else. I don't really expect that it is coming from the router, but I would do the following: Enter the router setup and see what DNS servers it says it is using; confirm they are real routable addresses. Consider using them instead of the router's 192.168.x.1 address. Check if there is a newer version of firmware for that router. If not, at least reset the router and see if that helps. Or if you have an alternate router that you could try, use it temporarly and determine if the router is a factor at all.
I'm not really concerned about the type of Knoppix install you did. I've seen enough reports of strange problems after any type of Knoppix install (except perhaps the "poor man's install"), and particularly networking problems, that I have come to believe it's always a questionable idea. I have never had a problem like this into any of my routers with real Debian installs.
Similar Threads
-
By Hunkah in forum The Lounge
Replies: 7
Last Post: 08-16-2011, 08:57 PM
-
By hal8000 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 01-11-2007, 11:00 PM
-
By A. Jorge Garcia in forum General Support
Replies: 7
Last Post: 01-30-2004, 12:30 AM
-
By jeramy in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 4
Last Post: 12-02-2003, 05:12 PM
-
By maddany in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 04-16-2003, 02:19 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT
$7.99

Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter
$27.50

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module
$699.99

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*
$24.00

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver
$5.40

Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA
$28.94

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+
$16.99

Lot of 5 Cisco 10G SFP+ 850nm 300m Transceiver Module P/N: SFP-10G-SR-10-2415-03
$15.00

Dell 10 Gigabit SFP+ SR Transceiver 0XYD50 NEW SEALED
$24.99

Arista SFP-10G-SR 10GBASE-SR XVR-10001-20 850nm SFP+ Optical Transceiver
$30.00