-
Trouble booting
Hi,
I would appreciate some help. I am really new to using Linux but I want to get more into it and am getting increasingly tired of Microsoft.
I have downloaded Knoppix. The ISO image is called "KNOPPIX_V5.1.1CD-2007-01-04-EN.iso". For some reason I am having trouble booting from the CD. Linux seems to start but then when it comes to load X windows it just displays a load of multi-coloured blocks on screen.
I have had the same trouble trying to run "Ubuntu" and suspect it is something to do with my graphics card or the graphics mode?
My brief hardware config:
ASUS M2V MB
AMD Athlon 64 dual core 4200+
2GB DDR2 RAM
Nvidia GeForce 7600GT (256MB)
300GB SATA HDD
Is there anything I can try? Does anyone know why it isn't working? As I have said I am really new to linux so if I need to change any config settings please explain how I do this.
Any help would be really appreciated.
Many thanks.
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
If you're getting as far as loading the GUI them you likely made the CD properly; I'll assume that you checked the md5 sum and burnt the cd slowly.
Does sound like a hardware support issue for that video card. Look at the cheat codes file that you downloaded and try to find something that helps. xmodule=vesa is where I would start. but you may find others that help too.
---
Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.
Similar Threads
-
By achtunga in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 03-27-2005, 10:32 PM
-
By njmetalmeister in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 12-04-2004, 11:26 PM
-
By Polo2883 in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 11-24-2004, 12:01 AM
-
By hpljs1200 in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 10-04-2004, 08:41 PM
-
By joinf in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 06-02-2003, 10:25 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT
$7.99

Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter
$27.50

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module
$699.99

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*
$24.00

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver
$5.40

Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA
$28.94

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+
$16.99

Lot of 5 Cisco 10G SFP+ 850nm 300m Transceiver Module P/N: SFP-10G-SR-10-2415-03
$15.00

Dell 10 Gigabit SFP+ SR Transceiver 0XYD50 NEW SEALED
$24.99

Lot of 10 ARISTA SFP-10G-SR 10GBASE-SR SFP LC Connector Optic Transceiver Module
$60.72