-
Accessing hard drive (NTFS - Windows XP) from USB Knoppix??
Hello,
I´m new to Knoppix and almost new to linux. I have a question. maybe it is impossible to do but...
I installed a DSL version on my USB Drive. My laptop does not have the option to boot from USB so I run Linux as a Virtual Machine double-clicking on the appropiate file inside my USB from Windows. The problem is that from linux window I try to have access to my hard drive (at least to read it) but I don´t know how.
I checked everything (mtab, fstab) and apparently inside /KNOPPIX the hard drive is mounted (/dev/hda) but only apparently. I cannot do anything and I cannot detect the hard drive.
Is possible to have access to my hard drive files from Knoppix running it like this?
Thanks!!
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
Re: Accessing hard drive (NTFS - Windows XP) from USB Knoppi

Originally Posted by
tecnoL
.... so I run Linux as a Virtual Machine .....
Your question doesn't really seem to have much to do with Knoppix (or DSL). This is a virtual machine issue. You didn't say what virtual system you are using, and the answer may be different for different systems. I can tell you that with VMware's virtual player you will not be able to access the host hard disk directly, the whole idea of a virtual machine is generally to isolate what is running to the virtual machine. You may be able to access files on the host system (or on your other computers) by networking; shared files or even things like FTP, but it will depend on you having that set up properly and not blocking it in software firewalls.
---
Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.
-
ok, I think that you are talking about the emulator. In the distribution I am using the emulator is QEMU. So... it is impossible to access my hard drive from my USB distribution unless I boot directly to Linux??
-
Senior Member
registered user
In principle if you can access the net from the VM, there's a virtual network between your host OS (windows) and linux running under the emulator SW. Linux then should be able to access a windows share (which you may need to create) via samba. I can't be more specific not being a user of QEMU nor DSL, but it certainly works for colinux, vmware or virtualbox.
Similar Threads
-
By markiemark in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 1
Last Post: 02-14-2009, 08:31 PM
-
By LoStar in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 12-09-2005, 04:56 PM
-
By itaydagani in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 3
Last Post: 02-02-2005, 12:53 AM
-
By matthew629 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 1
Last Post: 12-16-2004, 04:50 AM
-
By kidsatacrux in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 19
Last Post: 08-03-2004, 07:41 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Supermicro SuperServer E300-15 - SYS-e300-9C - 16GB RAM 240GB Samsung SSD
$199.99

HP Proliant MicroServer Gen 8 2.23GHz Xeon 16GB RAM NO SSD
$249.99

Supermicro 505-2 Server
$280.00

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset
$129.99

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*
$369.99

Supermicro SuperServer 504-2 X11SCL-1F E-2124 3.3GHz 32GB DDR4 NVMe 512GB
$650.00

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G
$449.99

Supermicro 5019D-4C-FN8TP Xeon D-2123IT (4C/8T) 64GB DDR4 10GbE 480GB 1U Server
$689.00

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC
$250.00

Supermicro 938-16 16-LFF MicroCloud SuperServer 5038MR-H8TRF *No Blade Servers*
$159.99