Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Need to use USB drive for more space for knoppix

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    2

    Need to use USB drive for more space for knoppix

    Greetings all,
    I am not sure really where this belongs, laptop, hardware, where?????? Basically what I did is install Knoppix to a 2.5 gig partition I created on my Sony laptop with XP on it. All works well except that I can do very little in the way of adding applications and performing updates because df -k shows I fill up the / during the apt-get update operation and i can not even do that. I have a 60gig USB drive that I have setup and is mounted as /dev/sda1 /media/sda1 , so all is well with that. What I want to do is get Knoppix to be able to do stuff it needs to do that is filling up the / on the main hdd (/dev/hda3) with the external drive instead. Possible ???? I am sure that it is but I just do not know how. Thanks.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    282
    Possibly not, I think you need to reserve more space for your / partition, in the order of 4G or higher. Another way is to install
    a smaller lightweight window manager like xfce4 or window maker and uninstall kde to make more space. However, you may get more answers, so I'd wait a while longer.

Similar Threads

  1. How much disk space do I need for Knoppix installation?
    By paparazzo79 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-10-2005, 09:03 PM
  2. Knoppix Free Space using Partimage
    By hroush in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-12-2005, 02:10 PM
  3. Encrpyiotn with Knoppix (Kernel and/or User Space)
    By ChaosKCW in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-25-2004, 06:13 PM
  4. Knoppix accessing HDD for swap space??
    By Li Gwai Lo in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-25-2003, 11:52 PM
  5. USB Thumb drive as swap space?
    By iconfly in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-29-2003, 09:06 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS picture

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS

$199.00



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99



Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On picture

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On

$450.00



Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram  240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ* picture

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*

$369.99



HP PROLIANT  TPS-W003 MICRO- SERVER TOWER Gen 8, 16G RAM picture

HP PROLIANT TPS-W003 MICRO- SERVER TOWER Gen 8, 16G RAM

$195.00



Supermicro 1027GR-TSF 1U Rackmount Server 2x Xeon 2.3GHz 128GB DDR3 picture

Supermicro 1027GR-TSF 1U Rackmount Server 2x Xeon 2.3GHz 128GB DDR3

$219.99



SUPERMICRO CSE-836 XEON E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz, 32GB RAM, NO HDD/OS picture

SUPERMICRO CSE-836 XEON E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz, 32GB RAM, NO HDD/OS

$299.99



New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G picture

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G

$449.99



Supermicro CSE-216 No CPU No Ram No HDD Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-216 No CPU No Ram No HDD Tested & Reset

$149.99



Supermicro 505-2   Server picture

Supermicro 505-2 Server

$280.00