-
Administrator
Site Admin-
Re: Preparing External USB Hard Drive...

Originally Posted by
tycopolis
1. Can I just copy my data to the External drive without doing any partitioning or formatting? Once my Ubuntu is back up and running, will I be able to just simply copy them back?
You should be able to copy files to the FAT partition just fine. Make sure that you mount it as read/write, not the default read-only. I would caution against using the NTFS partition. If you need more space than the FAT partition provides and you don't need what's currently on the NTFS partition, considering repartitioning it and formating it as FAT also.

Originally Posted by
tycopolis
2. How can I delete everything on this External drive, and use it like a regular "thumb / flash" drive?
This is just a partitioning and formatting question. Use whatever partitioning tool that you are comfortable with (for me that's Ranish but I think I'm in a manority there). Figure out how you want the drive partitioned, make the partitions, format them (some tools like Ranish do this in the partition operation, other like Microsoft require a seperate format step). I would suggest saving this for later, recover your data first.
Similar Threads
-
By ronhonda in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 4
Last Post: 01-22-2008, 12:09 PM
-
By Jamsh in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 09-08-2006, 08:57 PM
-
By photo312 in forum Laptops
Replies: 2
Last Post: 03-30-2005, 04:09 PM
-
By mbl in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 10-21-2004, 03:17 PM
-
By Phatmonkey in forum The Lounge
Replies: 1
Last Post: 06-30-2004, 09:44 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT
$7.99

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*
$24.00

Intel SPTSLP2SLCDE 100G-DR1 QSFP28 500m 1311nm Transceivers - Lot of 10 - New
$200.00

New Sealed Cisco GLC-LH-SMD 1000BASE-LX/LH SFP Transceiver Module *US
$17.00

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver
$5.40

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+
$16.99

Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA
$28.94

For Cisco SFP-10G-T-X Transceiver Multi-Rate 1G/2.5G/5G/10G SFP+ to RJ-45 Module
$66.31

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module
$699.99

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99