Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Problem setting up LAN

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    2

    Problem setting up LAN

    Hello,

    Just new to Linux . I tried Ubuntu, but I am not so happy about it. Tried Knoppix and installed a version on my computer with Knoppix-installer. I used the option debian.

    Anyway. I try to setup my network and something is going wrong. I can not use LISa, I can not use shared windows directories, no internet. Strange is that I DO get an IP from my DHCP server. But everytime I try to setup network card. Linux comes with "su returned with an error"....

    Does anybody know what this problem can be ?
    My system is a Laptop with AMD K6-3 500MHz / 192MB RAM and an Argosy EN-210 Ethernetcard (PCMCIA). I asume that the card isn't the problem as I get an IP address.

    Hopefully some can help me, because apart from this the system is running like a bliss on my old laptop

    Thanks in advance !
    Antoine

    [edit]
    Okay, I am lost, maybe the problem can be that I can not log in as root ? Even with the password supplied in the setup.... I really hope somebdoy can help me, as this OS really works very cool, but without network completely useless.....

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    2
    Nobody who can help me ?

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    104
    I don't know if this is true for the installation as it is true for the livecd, but give this a try:

    Open a konsole or other terminal window.

    Using lowercase letters, type:

    sudo su


    Then type:

    passwd

    and change your root password. Remember the new password or write it down somewhere.

Similar Threads

  1. problem setting up network. pc through router...
    By thebeing in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-28-2007, 02:06 PM
  2. problem setting a clusterknoppix v3.6 cluster
    By asddsa in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-27-2006, 11:41 PM
  3. Problem setting up printer
    By diehardii in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-22-2006, 07:51 AM
  4. Problem changing keyboard setting
    By rayk in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-26-2005, 06:37 AM
  5. setting time zone: Big problem with KDE ! This must be a bug
    By pearman in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-21-2005, 10:40 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS picture

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS

$199.00



Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC picture

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC

$250.00



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99



Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On picture

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On

$450.00



Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram  240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ* picture

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*

$369.99



New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G picture

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G

$449.99



Supermicro 5019D-4C-FN8TP Xeon D-2123IT (4C/8T) 64GB DDR4 10GbE 480GB 1U Server picture

Supermicro 5019D-4C-FN8TP Xeon D-2123IT (4C/8T) 64GB DDR4 10GbE 480GB 1U Server

$689.00



1U Edge Firewall Server X11SCW-F Xeon E-2174G 0 RAM M.2 NVME 3x PCI-e 2x PSU   X picture

1U Edge Firewall Server X11SCW-F Xeon E-2174G 0 RAM M.2 NVME 3x PCI-e 2x PSU X

$175.00



Supermicro 505-2   Server picture

Supermicro 505-2 Server

$280.00



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99