Hi,
~
I started knoppix with the cheatcode
~
knoppix init 2
~
then, after plugging in an external minidrive, I got:
~
Synchronizing SCSI cache for disk sda:
FAILED
status = 0, message = 00, vhost = 1, driver = 00
<7> APIC error on CPU00: 01(01)
usb 1-2: device descriptor read/64, error -71
usb 1-2: device descriptor read/64, error -71
usb 1-2: device descriptor read/64, error -71
usb 1-2: device descriptor read/64, error -71
usb 1-2: device descriptor read/64, error -71
usb 1-2: device descriptor read/64, error -71
. . .
~
I read from the error message and from some postings out there that it is related to the combination of USB + APIC (+ low speed devices + bad drivers?), that it also happens with printers, pen drives and wireless cards connected via USB, so I started Linux/knoppix with:
~
knoppix apic=off noapic init 2
~
then I didn't get the first error stanzas, but only the
~
usb 1-2: device descriptor read/64, error -71
usb 1-2: device descriptor read/64, error -71
usb 1-2: device descriptor read/64, error -71
. . .
~
ones repeatedly
~
Why are these problems happening?
~
How can I fix them?
~
Thanks
lbrtchx

HPE ProLiant MicroServer Gen10 Plus 32GB RAM Xeon E-2224 3.40Ghz No HDD No AC
$750.00
HP Proliant MicroServer Gen 8 2.23GHz Xeon 16GB RAM NO SSD
$249.99
HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 Tower Server Xeon E3-1220 v2 2.3GHz 16GB RAM
$289.99
Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC
$250.00
Supermicro Super Server 1029U-TN10RT Dual Xeon Silver 4210 - 10-Bay NVMe Rack
$500.00
New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G
$449.99
1U Edge Firewall Server X11SCW-F Xeon E-2174G 0 RAM M.2 NVME 3x PCI-e 2x PSU X
$200.00
Supermicro 5019D-4C-FN8TP Xeon D-2123IT (4C/8T) 64GB DDR4 10GbE 480GB 1U Server
$689.00
Supermicro E300-12C Mini 1U Barebone X12SCV-LVDS LGA1200 SNK-P0073A4 w/ Adapter
$225.00
POGO ATLAS 1102 Server 32 Gb RAM 4TB Storage 2x2TB HDD’s (Tested-Working) No OS
$179.85