Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: testdisk problem

  1. #1
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    testdisk problem

    I have a disk that I can't recover with gpart (still gives a bad superblock error) and I thought I would give testdisk a try. But when I try to run testdisk I get:
    testdisk: error while loading shared libaries: libntfs.so.9 cannot open shared object file: no such file or directory
    I get the same error on 5.1.0 and 4.0.2. I'm running as root (opened a terminal and then typed su). Can anyone give any insight on what is going wrong here?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    N42.41 W73 and change
    Posts
    401
    Hi Harry,

    Try this from a root shell : apt-get update && apt-get -s -t unstable install testdisk

    and try running it again[/code]

  3. #3
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Thanks for the tip Rusty. I will try it, but I learned something else: While the CD versions of 4.0.2 and 5,1.0 (and I expect very likely 5.0.1 and even 5.1.1) have this problem, the DVD version of 4.0.2 booted and ran testdisk just fine for me. I'n not sure why an unworking version would be on multiple CD releases, but apparently that's the case.

    Unfortunately, while I ran testdisk, it still didn't fix my bad superblock problem. So I'm going to focus on other approaches that might save something from these disks before I try the apt-get update approach, but it will be something interesting to do.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    N42.41 W73 and change
    Posts
    401
    Hi Harry,

    Just to note that a new version of testdisk was recently released in unstable, FWIW.

    Regards.

  5. #5
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Thanks. It is worth checking if that version fixes my bad superblock.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Germany Munich
    Posts
    12

    solution see - Testdisk Won't run - Cannot find libntfs.so.9

    I have the same error-messge with Knoppix 5.1 and testdisk. (this problem is nomore relevant for me - the notebook has broken)

    I have tested the solution above and testdisk starts very well.

    Unfortunatly I don't know how I can put a link the the other thread here.
    When anybody know this - please correct it.

    Thread: "Testdisk Won't run - Cannot find libntfs.so.9" dd. Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:28
    Forum: General Support

    Hope that helps somebody.

    PS:
    To Mr. Kuhman, to who I has asked in a personal message (at a time, when I had not found the obove solution) whether the new knoppix release had solved the problem.

    For your information I asked in a privat message, because the thread is 2 month old and I supposed that you maybe would not read this thread periodical.

    Thanks very much for your answer.

    I asked because I have a older notbook where the Koppix Release 5.1 don't run - 3.6 does. This means that it would give further more problems to get it to run. To test which last Knoppix Release would run - to find out where the difference is - to make a own Knoppix CD with the actual release of testdisk - and that maybe for nothing. That is the reason why I asked for your experience.

    Regards.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    104

    Re: solution see - Testdisk Won't run - Cannot find libntfs.

    Quote Originally Posted by the_idealist100
    I have the same error-messge with Knoppix 5.1 and testdisk.

    I have tested the solution above and testdisk starts very well.

    Unfortunatly I don't know how I can put a link the the other thread here.
    When anybody know this - please correct it.

    Thread: "Testdisk Won't run - Cannot find libntfs.so.9" dd. Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:28
    Forum: General Support

    Hope that helps somebody.

    PS:
    To Mr. Kuhman, to who I has asked in a personal message (at a time, when I had not found the obove solution) whether the new knoppix release had solved the problem.

    For your information I asked in a privat message, because the thread is 2 month old and I supposed that you maybe would not read this thread periodical.

    Thanks very much for your answer.

    I asked because I have a older notbook where the Koppix Release 5.1 don't run - 3.6 does. This means that it would give further more problems to get it to run. To test which last Knoppix Release would run - to find out where the difference is - to make a own Knoppix CD with the actual release of testdisk - and that maybe for nothing. That is the reason why I asked for your experience.

    Regards.
    I have no insight other than to try a different bootable CD to use TESTDISK.

    The "GPARTED" livecd has TESTDISK and the ULTIMATE BOOT CD also has it.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Germany, Unna
    Posts
    4
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26507

    testdisk: error while loading shared libraries: libntfs.so.9: cannot open shared object file: no such file or directory
    there is (Knoppix 5.1.1) no libntfs.so.9 (in /usr/lib/) but:
    libntfs.so -> libntfs.so.10.0.0
    libntfs.so.10 -> libntfs.so.10.0.0

    what do you think about this:
    rootwindow
    Code:
    cd /usr/lib
    ln -s libntfs.so.10.0.0 libntfs.so.9
    now testdisk will run

  9. #9
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Germany Munich
    Posts
    12
    Thanks for everybody's help.

    I can't test more ideas - because my notebook has broken and
    I am now working with Knoppix 5.3.1 on a newer PC, which has no problems with this
    newer Knoppix-Version.

Similar Threads

  1. running testdisk
    By rodney222 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-13-2008, 11:49 PM
  2. Can't see external drive after using testdisk
    By kater in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-12-2007, 04:44 PM
  3. Testdisk Won't run - Cannot find libntfs.so.9
    By LordKuat in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-20-2007, 08:30 AM
  4. TestDisk to recover XP drive
    By asandler48309 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-06-2007, 03:47 AM
  5. Knoppix 4.02 CD: testdisk doesn't run
    By scorpionutv in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-29-2005, 11:11 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$145.00



pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN picture

pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN

$184.99



OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN

$258.00



Fortinet FortiGate FG-40F Network Security Firewall NO RACK EARS picture

Fortinet FortiGate FG-40F Network Security Firewall NO RACK EARS

$49.99



OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC picture

OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC

$175.00



Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance picture

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance

$155.75



Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F UTM UTP License Until 2027 Network Security FW VPN picture

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F UTM UTP License Until 2027 Network Security FW VPN

$229.99



Palo Alto PA-220 Next-Gen Firewall 520-000309-00J picture

Palo Alto PA-220 Next-Gen Firewall 520-000309-00J

$40.00



Cisco Meraki MX67-HW Security Appliance Firewall NEW Unused Unclaimed picture

Cisco Meraki MX67-HW Security Appliance Firewall NEW Unused Unclaimed

$202.50



NETGEAR ProSafe 8-Port Gigabit VPN Firewall FVS318G NEW IN BOX picture

NETGEAR ProSafe 8-Port Gigabit VPN Firewall FVS318G NEW IN BOX

$69.99