-
networking not enabled on startup?
Hi, I am somewhat of a linux newb. I have some command line experience from other platforms. I primarily use Knoppix for data recovery.
Anywho, I have used it in the past, and when the machine was hooked up to the net (gets an IP through DHCP), after boot networking would be enabled, I didn't need to do anything extra.
I had to download the newest distro, but unfortunately the net does not start. Furthermore, I cannot for the life of me get it started!
After starting up the machine, I open a command window.
$ ping X.X.X.1 (another host I know is up)
connect: Network is unreachable
$ ifconfig -a -v
eth0
Link encap: Ethernet HWaddr ...
BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU: 1500 Metric: 1
RX packets: 450 errors: 24 dropped: 0 overruns: 0 frame: 0
TX packets: 17 errors: 0 dropped: 0 overrunes: 0 carrier: 0
collisions: 0 txqueuelen: 1000
RX bytes: 44938 (43.8 KiB) TX bytes: 2902 (2.8 KiB)
Interrupt: 17 Base address: 0xd800
lo
...
$ sudo pump -i eth0 -s
Device eth0
IP: X.X.X.2 (correct IP for this machine)
All info following is correct for the machine...netmask, gateway, DNS servers, etc!
If I use ifconfig and route to manually add the correct IP, netmask, and gateway, then try to ping again I get:
$ ping X.X.X.1
PING X.X.X.1 (X.X.X.1) 56(84) bytes of data
From X.X.X.2 icmp_seq=10 Destination Host Unreachable
15 packets transmitted, 0 received, +3 errors, 100% packet loss, time 14015ms
, pipe 3
Anyway, if anyone can help me out with this I'd appreciate it. I just need to get the network running so I can scp data from the HD.
Thanks in advance, and I am happy to provide any additional info needed. I have tried /etc/init.d/networking restart and start, ifup -a, ifconfig eth0 up...none seem to do anything.
Similar Threads
-
By Toonforce in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 04-27-2009, 11:13 AM
-
By alsdaboss in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-23-2006, 05:00 PM
-
By JoeBWan in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 12-13-2004, 08:35 PM
-
By smas in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 07-23-2004, 06:47 AM
-
Replies: 3
Last Post: 08-11-2003, 10:19 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU
$11.00

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS
$239.99

Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA
$350.48

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS
$179.98

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS
$84.49

DELL Precision 5820 Workstation Xeon W-2123 3.6ghz/NO RAM/NO SSD/P400 Vid
$139.99

Matched Pair _ Intel Xeon E5-2698 V4 2.2GHz 20-Core Processor CPU LGA2011 SR2JW
$94.99

Dell Precision T5820 950W Workstation 4.00GHz W-2125 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS
$144.98

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00