Ok, this is weird... maybe this has something to do with dual processors? I dunno... I'm a noob.

So yea, I have 3 PC's.

1 Old crappy Dell Inspiron 5000e Laptop
1 New AMD 6400 X2 system
1 New DuoCore 6600 system

Real simple right? Boot Knoppix 5.1.1 on the laptop with it's crappy 10/100, setup nic for static ip in the usual way, start the samba server and blammo - on the network and copying craploads from the laptop to various Windows XP machines with non-stop happy IP traffic via the IP Traffic monitoring tool.

Here's the painful part.

BOTH the newer systems - Same deal - Same everything and when you go to the network and pull files from the server, it ticks for a second, then hangs and dies and tells me how it can't find the connection anymore, blah blah blah...

errr... hair pulling out....

The NIC's on the new machines are gigabit and work fine on the network w/windows to windows....

Could this be a Nic incompatibility issue or what? Is this symptomatic of something?

Update: I'm getting overall delay issues from web browsers as well on the Knoppix machine. Odd that I'm setting up the laptopp and the AMD machine exactly the same... what would be causing this... only difference is the AMD is on a gigabit connection. It works fine as a windows machine - just Knoppix is having issues.

LSPCI shows me about the network connector:

Ethernet controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. Unknown device 4364 (rev 12)

err.... could that be the problem?



Thanks for any insight.