Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: PT keyboard not US

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    12

    PT keyboard not US

    Hi there,
    I'd appreciate if someone could help me making my keyboard behave

    I have runned dpkg-reconfigure locales
    and I have set KDE KControl to use pt keymap

    However when I reboot my configuration is gone (I always get a US keyboard)
    I have created a persistent disk (knoppix.img on hda7) but
    I always get a us keyboard.

    In order to have a pt layout|keymap I open KDE Control Center,
    Keyboard Layout then I select Portugal
    Check and uncheck "include latin layout" just to get the Apply button active.
    When I press apply I have a pt keyboard and I can start typing normally on a shell.
    All the symbols \ , ; are in place

    But this is a lousy and annoying solution. How do I correct this?
    TIA
    xears


    How do I correct this?

    Thanks in advance
    xears

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    England
    Posts
    177

    Re: PT keyboard not US

    Quote Originally Posted by xears
    ... I have created a persistent disk (knoppix.img on hda7) but I always get a us keyboard. ...
    It's not fully clear to me what is your configuration, but you could try editing the kernel lines in
    <your-path-to>/boot/grub/menu.lst
    to replace
    lang=us
    with
    lang=pt

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    12
    Doesn't lang change the language used in all the applications menus?
    I want to read in english but write using a portuguese keyboard.

    TIA
    xears

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    England
    Posts
    177
    No. If you're hesitant about editing your files before you are sure, boot up the Knoppix live CD or DVD with the cheatcode lang=pt and try that - it amounts to the same thing. I just tried that for you in my system and it seems to do what you want
    EDITED Sorry doesn't work as pt isn't an option in the cheatcodes; what I was seeing was the system defaulting to us keyboard (I use uk).

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    England
    Posts
    177
    Oops please disregard the above posting; pt doesn't seem to be offered in /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig . (I think what I was seeing was the system defaulting to the us keyboard).
    You might like to see if this works (it can't do any harm although it may need something additional) : insert the following additional text into /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig

    Code:
    pt)
    # Portuguese version
    COUNTRY="pt"
    LANG="pt_PT@euro"
    KEYTABLE="pt"
    XKEYBOARD="pt"
    KDEKEYBOARD="pt"
    CHARSET="iso8859-15"
    # Additional KDE Keyboards
    KDEKEYBOARDS="de(nodeadkeys),us,fr"
    TZ="Europe/Lisbon"
    ;;
    between lines 154 and 155 ( better check this in your copy ).

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    England
    Posts
    177
    You might like to see if this works (it can't do any harm although it may need something additional) : insert the following additional text into /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig

    Code:
    pt)
    # Portuguese version
    COUNTRY="pt"
    LANG="pt_PT@euro"
    KEYTABLE="pt"
    XKEYBOARD="pt"
    KDEKEYBOARD="pt"
    CHARSET="iso8859-15"
    # Additional KDE Keyboards
    KDEKEYBOARDS="de(nodeadkeys),us,fr"
    TZ="Europe/Lisbon"
    ;;
    between lines 154 and 155 ( better check this in your copy ).

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    England
    Posts
    177
    Eureka ! I remastered Knoppix 5.1.1 with the code for pt in
    /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig
    as above, and with
    lang=us replaced with lang=pt
    in
    /boot/isolinux/isolinux.cfg

    On booting the iso in VMware Player :-
    - The symbol and flag colour for PT came up in the KDE Tray
    - The display language remained English
    - The keyboard symbol keys had changed to the following (shifted versions first)...

    knoppix@Knoppix:~$ !"#$%&/()=?»
    knoppix@Knoppix:~$ 1234567890

    knoppix@Knoppix:~$ QWERTYUIOP* last UK keyboard character nonexistent
    knoppix@Knoppix:~$ qwertyuiop+ last UK keyboard character nonexistent

    knoppix@Knoppix:~$ ASDFGHJKLǪlº last UK keyboard character nonexistent
    knoppix@Knoppix:~$ asdfghjklçº last UK keyboard character nonexistent

    knoppix@Knoppix:~$ >ZXCVBNM;:_
    knoppix@Knoppix:~$ <zxcvbnm,.-

    which I hope look OK to you ?

  8. #8
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    12
    Thanks JohnnyH for your replies

    However, the solution you gave me didn't work on my system.

    I've edited /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig as you told me to
    and I'm booting with these codes

    knoppix lang=pt desktop=fluxbox fromhd=/dev/hda1 home=scan myconfig=scan apm=power-off noideraid nofirewire dma noprompt noeject

    bammm.... en keyboard

    I'm having some problems with my persistent disk (knoppix.img)
    On every boot I get messages telling me that it wasn't cleanly unmounted.
    I don't know if this is the cause but
    I am editing /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig again
    and the portuguese block is still there. So at least this file is ok.

    You said that you have remastered Knoppix.
    Do I have to do that too? How?
    I'm new to knoppix

    Please help
    TIA
    xears

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    England
    Posts
    177
    Quote Originally Posted by xears
    ...However, the solution you gave me didn't work on my system.
    ...
    You said that you have remastered Knoppix. Do I have to do that too? How? ...
    You didn't completely try the solution that I gave you, because the remastering is a necessary part of it

    Quote Originally Posted by xears
    ...
    I'm having some problems with my persistent disk (knoppix.img)
    On every boot I get messages telling me that it wasn't cleanly unmounted.
    ...
    I've never used the 'pseudo-installation' method, with persistent image and so on, but I see that you have another thread in the Forum on that so I leave discussion of that problem with the better experts there ...
    ...
    ... but an essential point, as I understand it, is that it still involves operation from the compressed KNOPPIX file. If so, that is where you need to edit the /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig file .
    You might be able to do that 'in situ' using a sub-set of the re-mastering procedures involving
    un-compressing, mount -o loop ... , copy to working folder, editing and re-compressing
    but as you are new to Knoppix it would probably be easiest for you to directly follow the remastering procedures on the Forum
    http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Knoppix_Remastering_Howto
    to create a new, clean remastered Knoppix.iso image and regenerate your system from that.

    This is likely to be too big to fit on a CD so it's best if you can burn it as a DVD.
    On the other hand, you may be able follow the procedures just far enough to create the new KNOPPIX compressed file, then copy that to the appropriate place in your /dev/hda1 (as you quoted fromhd=/dev/hda1)

  10. #10
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    12
    Thanks JohnnyH for your enlightenment

    This 'pseudo-installation' method, with persistent image and so on as you call it
    is driving me nuts...
    I'll get into the adventures of remastering later on.

    I'll try to config my keyboard, install some apps, create a new iso, copy it to hda1 and
    run from there.

    Thanks a lot JohnnyH
    xears

Similar Threads

  1. Only Have uk keyboard in kde.
    By Nails in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-02-2006, 03:11 PM
  2. USB Keyboard
    By ptracton in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-09-2006, 10:22 PM
  3. Keyboard
    By Superhezka in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-04-2005, 03:57 PM
  4. USB Keyboard
    By FrankZappa17_4 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-22-2004, 01:24 AM
  5. UK Keyboard
    By ian in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-20-2003, 04:46 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S... picture

5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S...

$9.64



NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch picture

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch

$49.99



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



D-Link DGS-1210-28P 28-Port PoE Gigabit Web Smart Switch With Cord picture

D-Link DGS-1210-28P 28-Port PoE Gigabit Web Smart Switch With Cord

$49.99



TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch picture

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch

$19.99



TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern picture

TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern

$15.25



10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W picture

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W

$39.99



Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts picture

Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts

$69.00



5Ports Gigabit Network Switch w/ 4 PoE+ Ports Total 52W each port 30W Plug&Play picture

5Ports Gigabit Network Switch w/ 4 PoE+ Ports Total 52W each port 30W Plug&Play

$31.99



Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch picture

Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch

$46.99