-
Junior Member
registered user
[b]Help for creating dual boot windows and Knoppix[/b]
Hi,
What I am looking for:- Procedure to create a dual boot of Windows and Knoppix from a single hard disk. How to come out of the mess that I seem to have created. I have explained below what I tried.
I am trying to create dual boot of Windows and Knoppix on a 40 gb drive. The steps I did are:-
1. Boot from Windows cd. Create 30 GB windows partition. Install Windows in the first partition.
2. Boot from Knoppix cd. Install Knoppix in the remaining 10gb space. I created two partitions. 9 gb for Knoppix and 1 gb swap. I wrote the mbr in the linux partition.
The partitions created:-
First partition Windows 30 GB
Second Linux 9 GB
Third Swap 1 gb
The problem:- I can't boot from the hard disk. I am not able to boot from either linux or Windows. When I boot from Windows, it starts to boot and then stops. Then I made Linux partition active and tried to boot linux. The screen gives 4 4 4 for half a screen .. and then hangs.
I read a post that a data only fat 32 partition will be required if I need a dual boot with a boot menu. So I was trying to delete the Linux and swap partitions and recreaate 3 partitions. Linux, FAT 32 data partition , swap partition.
But I cant delete the already created partitions. I get the error message partitions mounted.
Similar Threads
-
By winfidel in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 1
Last Post: 08-02-2006, 04:00 AM
-
By mkyb14 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 19
Last Post: 12-08-2004, 06:06 PM
-
By ishtvan22 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 09-25-2004, 04:11 AM
-
By jimbo62 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 4
Last Post: 08-09-2004, 04:22 PM
-
By furryfren in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 7
Last Post: 07-28-2004, 08:44 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT
$7.99

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*
$24.00

Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter
$27.50

New Sealed Cisco GLC-LH-SMD 1000BASE-LX/LH SFP Transceiver Module *US
$17.00

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver
$5.40

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+
$16.99

Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA
$28.94

Cisco SFP-10G-SR-S 10g Transceivers ( 5 Pack )
$70.00

Penguin Computing Arctica 4806XP 48-Port 10G SFP+ 6x 40G QSFP+ Switch Dual PSU
$385.00

Cisco QSFP-40G-SR-BD Module 10-2945-02 NEW CLAMSHELL
$45.50