Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Putting Knoppix on a USB stick

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2

    Putting Knoppix on a USB stick

    Hi:
    Being a newbie, as I nervously and slowly go through the procedures posted on http://knoppix.net/forum/viewpoint.php?t=25402 , a question pops up in my mind. If I erase my flash key and procede with all steps and finally get to the point of trying to boot up knoppix from the key, and I can't boot up after I've tried everything possible, then my question is, Can my key be restored to the way it was before installing knoppix on it? Does the key just need to be erased again or has some partitioning been changed and need be restored? Or is my key now useless? Thank you for your time in reading and/or responding.

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    California
    Posts
    92
    The link you posted goes nowhere, at least for me.

    Let's say, for the purposes of this discussion, installing Knoppix on a USB key will effectively erase all data on the key. You will need to back it up, if you would like to preserve this data for future; even if you found a procedure that says data will not be erased (and this is quite possible), you should still back up all data first. Further, installing Knoppix does not cause any permanent / physical change / harm to your key, meaning that if you change your mind at a later time you can always restore the key back the way it was before. It is possible that as part of the installation some partitioning was modified on the key, but this is again not a permanent state, and can be modified any time to suit your needs.

  3. #3
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    yup, bad link. However http://knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25402 is on-subject.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2

    Putting Knoppix on a USB stick

    To SiKing:
    You say:
    “It is possible that as part of the installation some partitioning was modified on the key, but this is again not a permanent state, and can be modified any time to suit your needs.â€?

    My question now, is how do I restore my key to it’s original form (partitions). I’m not referring to the personal data that was on the stick.

    To Harry Kuhman:
    I didn’t remember the link from which I made a copy on my printer of how to make a bootable knoppix key. It was from this copy I found this link. If you have any other sources (links) that will help me in being successful on making a bootable key, I would be grateful to you.

    Thanks to all

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    California
    Posts
    92

    Re: Putting Knoppix on a USB stick

    Quote Originally Posted by jim simon
    My question now, is how do I restore my key to it’s original form (partitions). I’m not referring to the personal data that was on the stick.
    Well there are lots of different programs that allow you to change partitions. I know that the first time you go through it, it may seem a little daunting, but trust me, there is nothing to it - especially if you're not concerned about the data. I don't know how much you know about what partitions are, but have a look here. After that, Knoppix comes with qtparted, which works very well. Fire it up, to see what partitioning you have on your key. The odds are very good, that if you did not do anything to it after your purchase, then it has only one partition, and I would even go so far as to say that it is probably FAT32 type.
    Good luck.

Similar Threads

  1. Putting the dvd or cd on a flash Memory stick?
    By kidsatacrux in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-28-2007, 07:57 AM
  2. putting Knoppix on hdd/ other.
    By Aspra in forum General Support
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-01-2006, 05:46 PM
  3. Putting knoppix onto a cd?
    By BainsG in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-13-2005, 08:04 AM
  4. Putting knoppix 3.6 on a disk...how?
    By Pengers in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-31-2004, 02:14 AM
  5. putting knoppix on a diet!
    By in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 01-18-2003, 12:00 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage DEC E2052-AA  AlphaServer I/O Board 9 Gold Ceramic ICs 4.3 LB Gold Scrap picture

Vintage DEC E2052-AA AlphaServer I/O Board 9 Gold Ceramic ICs 4.3 LB Gold Scrap

$749.99



Vintage DEC Digital XMI-A1 5017293-01A1 LWPR BE3-0 VAX Circuit Board T2012 picture

Vintage DEC Digital XMI-A1 5017293-01A1 LWPR BE3-0 VAX Circuit Board T2012

$74.99



Vintage DEC Digital T1043 DWMBB/B VAXBI XMI Adapter 5018232-01 C1 VAX Board picture

Vintage DEC Digital T1043 DWMBB/B VAXBI XMI Adapter 5018232-01 C1 VAX Board

$119.99



Vintage DEC Digital Starion 200 Desktop PC Powers On Boots To BIOS NO HDD - DW picture

Vintage DEC Digital Starion 200 Desktop PC Powers On Boots To BIOS NO HDD - DW

$269.99



Vintage DEC LK201 Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC) LK201-AA Computer Keyboard picture

Vintage DEC LK201 Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC) LK201-AA Computer Keyboard

$149.99



Vintage DEC VT100 Series Terminal (Powers On) picture

Vintage DEC VT100 Series Terminal (Powers On)

$499.99



VINTAGE DEC 54-20470-02 MULTI-PLANE SPX COLOR GRAPHICS CARD FOR VXT2000 TERMINAL picture

VINTAGE DEC 54-20470-02 MULTI-PLANE SPX COLOR GRAPHICS CARD FOR VXT2000 TERMINAL

$169.00



Vintage DEC Digital Equipment DELNI 8-Port Ethernet Local Network Hub VAXstation picture

Vintage DEC Digital Equipment DELNI 8-Port Ethernet Local Network Hub VAXstation

$79.95



Vintage DEC/Mostek memory systems MK 8015 AA-00 6805-08015 1100 REV C(B7) picture

Vintage DEC/Mostek memory systems MK 8015 AA-00 6805-08015 1100 REV C(B7)

$279.99



Vintage DEC Digital VSXXX-AA.B03 Hawley 3-Button Mouse 1986 Tested Working picture

Vintage DEC Digital VSXXX-AA.B03 Hawley 3-Button Mouse 1986 Tested Working

$111.00