Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: booting on Intel Mac

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    2

    booting on Intel Mac

    I am trying to boot an OS called hikarunix that is based on Knoppix and DSL. This may not be the best place to ask, but it is the most active forum I could find. I have found that for portability purposes, trying to boot on Intel Macs has become easier to do than on a PC. Unfortunately I have only had one success so far.

    So I was wondering if anyone had tried booting a live CD on one of the Intel Macs and what issues and solutions had come up.

    The first time I tried, I actually changed the startup disk in the system preferences and restarted that way. It actually booted the whole way, except the mouse didn't work and I didn't know what to do from there. But unless you are authorized, you can't change the startup disk on a computer. So that wouldn't work on public computers. So then I tried booting from the disk by holding C during startup. The boot process starts and goes along fine until I run into some issues with xauth and xinit.

    I get two tries at xauth: creating new authority file. then it says "giving up". then i have 2 errors, xinit: no such file or directory, and xinit: no such process.

    then i get some kind of prompt thing, related to DSL i believe dsl@tty1[dsl]$

    not sure if anyone can help. i'd love to be able to have my own 'workstation' that i can carry around with me while i'm out and about, since my only computer is an old apple imac running OS 9, i can't do much with that these days. i like the idea of knoppix, and i found it through this hikarunix OS which is loaded with programs for learning and playing GO, which is how I got there. I'm a newbie to all of this, but I am intrigued, and want to learn. i like the freedom linux seems to offer, so i'm just trying to get my foot in the door.

    thanks

    grant

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    2
    Update:

    I have found that when you hold OPTION to choose the OS at startup, my live CD boots up fine, except I still have no mouse.

    Is there anything I can do within a terminal to setup the mouse?

    I also didn't get an internet connection, couldn't detect a supported network card. Is that just to be expected since I'm trying to run this on an Apple?

Similar Threads

  1. Booting Knoppix when Intel Boot Agent is installed.
    By hat_monkey in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-09-2007, 06:49 AM
  2. Intel Problems
    By phantomreaper in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-29-2006, 12:03 AM
  3. intel 537 modem
    By jock in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-15-2004, 04:14 PM
  4. Intel - AMD or both
    By BillS in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-05-2004, 04:40 PM
  5. Intel Centrino
    By applecran in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-22-2003, 10:43 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


One Of A Kind Homemade Vintage Mainframe Computer, Logic Module Wood Bookends picture

One Of A Kind Homemade Vintage Mainframe Computer, Logic Module Wood Bookends

$149.00



Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25 picture

Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25

$594.99



HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer picture

HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer

$224.72



HP 13210-60001 Disc Drive Interface PCB HP 7900A 7901A Vintage picture

HP 13210-60001 Disc Drive Interface PCB HP 7900A 7901A Vintage

$225.61



4x Various Brands 8.5

4x Various Brands 8.5" Mainframe 9-Track Reel Computer Data Tape 6250 CPI .5"

$24.99



Vintage Japanese Katakana Double Shot Sperry Univac UTS 4000 Keyboard 1981 picture

Vintage Japanese Katakana Double Shot Sperry Univac UTS 4000 Keyboard 1981

$199.99



Vintage UNIVAC Mainframe Circuit Board Lamp - Cyberpunk Tech Geek Industrial Art picture

Vintage UNIVAC Mainframe Circuit Board Lamp - Cyberpunk Tech Geek Industrial Art

$225.00



Rare Vintage Mainframe Burroughs Discrete-Transistor Cordwood Module B2500 B5000 picture

Rare Vintage Mainframe Burroughs Discrete-Transistor Cordwood Module B2500 B5000

$94.95



Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation picture

Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation

$500.00



Oracle for Macintosh Developer’s Kit v1.0a (1988–1989) – Complete • UNUSED picture

Oracle for Macintosh Developer’s Kit v1.0a (1988–1989) – Complete • UNUSED

$1600.00