Anyone?![]()
Hello, sorry if this has been discussed before, but I'm a noob when it comes to Linux. My PC will no longer boot to windows and I'm trying to copy my system_restore files to windows\system32\config folder using Knoppix ver 5.1 When trying to boot to Windows XP, I get an error WIndows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \windows\system32\config\system. When I boot into Knoppix, my hard disk is listed as "Hard disk [SDA1]" I mounted the drive and when I change read\write status, I get an error stating THe remount command failed. Maybe there is another process accessing the filesystem currently. Can someone PLEASE help?
Anyone?![]()
Try booting the cd, right clicking on the drive icon, switching the r/w status and THEN mounting the drive. Not sure it will help but worth a try.I mounted the drive and when I change read\write status,
Rusty usually gives good advice, but if this is a NTFS file system (I don't think you said and I suspect it is, xp usually is unless there is reason for it to not be), then I would advise against doing the above. Writing to NTFS can completely corrupt it and cause you to lose all of your data, which sounds to be currently available. I would use the standard recovery techniques listed in the recovery faq, then do a fresh install and reload important data rather than take the risk.
---
Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.
Ok, I resolved the problem. I was not able to restore the files using Knoppix, but instead I installed the HD into a working XP machine, booted into XP, ran Chkdsk on the non-bootable xp drive, and copied the sam, system, default, security, and software files from the system restore folder to system32\config. I rebooted the drive and voila XP! I was hoping to do this without taking the hard drive out. Thanks for all the replies! Has anyone successfully changed files on a NTFS partition???
I've written files on an NTFS partition with Knoppix version 5.1.xOriginally Posted by kaptan
Like said above, you boot the CD, then Right-Click on the desktop icon, then uncheck the Read-Only checkbox on the context menu, and finally you Left-Click on the desktop icon and mount the drive.

Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working
$99.99
Atari 1010 Cassette Recorder/Player w/ Power Adapter For Parts/Repair Turns On
$25.00
Atari 400 / 800 Computer Memory Module 16K RAM PCB CX853 - Works Perfectly
$18.95
Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On)
$300.00
Vintage Atari 400/800 - Ms PacMan Galaxian BASIC Atari Writer Carts + Joystick
$38.88
A8PicoCart Multicart for Atari 800xl /65xe / 130xe / XEGS
$16.95
Atari 1200XL Home Computer, Tested Boots & Plays Cart, OEM PSU, Box - Read
$329.95
Atari 410 Program Recorder repair w manual sheet/ adapter cord
$23.99
Atari 800 Home Computer 48K RAM In Original Box w/ Styro RF Switch Extra Games
$349.30
UNOCART-2600 SD card Multi Rom Cartridge for ATARI 2600 with CASE
$34.25