Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Unable to modify 'system' file on windows XP HDD

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    3

    Unable to modify 'system' file on windows XP HDD

    I am working on a friend's Dell's desktop PC which has failure in booting up (Windows XP).

    Here is where I am stuck:
    Using Knoppix LIVEDCD to boot up and access the HDD, I attempt to rename and then replace the corrupted system file but get an error message saying file cannot be deleted. The error message when I attempt to rename and also replace file, states: Could not delete file...

    What this looks like to me is that even though I can see the file and even copy it to a USB memory stick, there is no permission to modify/delete it.

    Any reason why this is the case and what can I do to overcome this?

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    See answer #6.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    3
    Thx Harry!

    I simply click on the drive to get the menu, then enabled write access and it worked. I fixed the Windows corrupted file and now Windows boots up.

    Knoppix rock!

  4. #4
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by KnoppixIsOk
    I simply click on the drive to get the menu, then enabled write access and it worked. I fixed the Windows corrupted file and now Windows boots up.
    I don't think you read or believed all of what I wrote. For a long time Linux efforts to write to NTFS have met with disaster. I personally believe this is by Microsoft's own design. There are some vague claims that Knoppix 5.x might be able to write to NTFS, but I'm far from convinced that's it's safe and stable yet. I did not advise you to write to a NTFS partition.

    Unfortunately, the corruption that has been seen sometimes ruins the partition right away, but sometimes it leaves the system apparently working for a while and then the partition self destructs later. I wish you luck, and please let us know if your system stays working in the coming months. But if I were you, I would also make sure that I have good backups of everything I needed, just in case.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    3
    I did read what you wrote. Good advise too.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    104
    If you want to verify the integrity of your Windows NTFS file system, from inside Windows you can run the Microsoft CHKDSK command from inside a Command Prompt window, or you can right-click on the drive letter in Windows Explorer and choose Properties -> Tools -> Error Checking -> Check Now

    This will not tell you if the data contained inside a file is corrupt, but it will tell you if there are problems with the file system integrity and the program can even make an attempt to fix them.

Similar Threads

  1. Unable to open file with Windows XP after opening with Knopp
    By orzz in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-13-2006, 08:30 PM
  2. Kernel panic: Unable to mount root file system on block....
    By wquay in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-23-2005, 06:22 AM
  3. Windows XP Corrupted my File System, Now What?!
    By apoc in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-27-2005, 04:31 AM
  4. unable to make install - read-only file system
    By knopppixnewbie in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-24-2005, 04:18 PM
  5. unable to access sfs file system with critcal data!!!
    By evermuse in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-28-2004, 12:31 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$145.00



OPNsense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI picture

OPNsense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI

$195.00



OPNsense Firewall 8-Core Atom C3758 4GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN picture

OPNsense Firewall 8-Core Atom C3758 4GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN

$95.00



Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet picture

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet

$147.00



PfSense/OPNsense 14x1Gb, 8-Core, 8GB RAM, 80GB SSD, AES-NI, QAT (Lanner FW-7573) picture

PfSense/OPNsense 14x1Gb, 8-Core, 8GB RAM, 80GB SSD, AES-NI, QAT (Lanner FW-7573)

$149.00



OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN

$258.00



Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F UTM UTP License Until 2027 Network Security FW VPN picture

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F UTM UTP License Until 2027 Network Security FW VPN

$229.99



Sophos XG 125 Rev.3 Desktop Firewall 8x GbE 1x SFP Wiped - No Power Adapter picture

Sophos XG 125 Rev.3 Desktop Firewall 8x GbE 1x SFP Wiped - No Power Adapter

$74.99



SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED picture

SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED

$999.99



Check Point 1590 Firewall & w builtin WiFI and builtin LTE sim slot picture

Check Point 1590 Firewall & w builtin WiFI and builtin LTE sim slot

$95.99