Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: New to Knoppix and want to set admin rights for myself

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    2

    New to Knoppix and want to set admin rights for myself

    I'm sorry for appearing to not have searched, but I did. hehe.

    Like many new users, I realized that I do not inherrantly have admin rights like I did with windows. I understand that it is a saftey precaution, but as I am using it solely on my home pc, I SHOULD have admin. (and yes I know about su root )

    Now, I do not know whethe or not this is normal, but when I load, I don't get any chance to change user. Now, I had recieved the CD from an instructor of mine in a computer foresnics class. Maybe it was something about his disk, but then again maybe that is just the way Knoppix opperates at first.

    I would grately appreciate any help that you could give me.

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: New to Knoppix and want to set admin rights for myself

    Quote Originally Posted by Venix
    ... I SHOULD have admin. (and yes I know about su root )....
    One should never run a Linux system as root by default. If you know about su and sudo then you have all you need. Knoppix is working just fine, this is not a result of anything your instructor did. It doesn't matter that you are the only user on the system, and crying I SHOULD have admin will only expose your lack of knowledge.

    Please don't spam the forums with the same post in multiple forums. Pick one forum and post your problem where it seems to best fit. If you pick extremely poorly a moderator might move it for you. Imagine how cluttered these forums would become if everyone who wanted an answer to a question posted in multiple forums here.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    2
    Thanks man, I saw that I had posted in the wrong forum and then just posted in this one. Well, I knew about su but wtf is sudo?

  4. #4
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by Venix
    Well, I knew about su but wtf is sudo?
    At a command prompt type man sudo

    It's a one time, in-line version of su. Nice for having root only for the command that really needs it.

Similar Threads

  1. How to Reset Windows XP admin password with Knoppix
    By askme in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-25-2017, 02:47 AM
  2. knoppix 3.9 admin password
    By redserpet in forum Laptops
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-02-2007, 04:08 PM
  3. no rights
    By VinceStar in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-27-2004, 06:38 AM
  4. Changing knoppix user's mount rights
    By TyphoonMentat in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-28-2004, 01:36 AM
  5. Give Knoppix RWX rights on all hdX partitions
    By smurfy__ in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-31-2003, 05:42 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


HPE ProLiant MicroServer Gen10 Plus 32GB RAM Xeon E-2224 3.40Ghz No HDD No AC  picture

HPE ProLiant MicroServer Gen10 Plus 32GB RAM Xeon E-2224 3.40Ghz No HDD No AC

$750.00



HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 Tower Server Xeon E3-1220 v2 2.3GHz 16GB RAM picture

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 Tower Server Xeon E3-1220 v2 2.3GHz 16GB RAM

$289.99



POGO ATLAS 1102 Server 32 Gb RAM 4TB Storage 2x2TB HDD’s (Tested-Working) No OS picture

POGO ATLAS 1102 Server 32 Gb RAM 4TB Storage 2x2TB HDD’s (Tested-Working) No OS

$179.85



HP Proliant MicroServer Gen 8 2.23GHz Xeon 16GB RAM NO SSD picture

HP Proliant MicroServer Gen 8 2.23GHz Xeon 16GB RAM NO SSD

$249.99



New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G picture

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G

$449.99



Supermicro 5019D-4C-FN8TP Xeon D-2123IT (4C/8T) 64GB DDR4 10GbE 480GB 1U Server picture

Supermicro 5019D-4C-FN8TP Xeon D-2123IT (4C/8T) 64GB DDR4 10GbE 480GB 1U Server

$689.00



1U Edge Firewall Server X11SCW-F Xeon E-2174G 0 RAM M.2 NVME 3x PCI-e 2x PSU X picture

1U Edge Firewall Server X11SCW-F Xeon E-2174G 0 RAM M.2 NVME 3x PCI-e 2x PSU X

$200.00



Supermicro SuperServer E300-15 - SYS-e300-9C - 16GB RAM 240GB Samsung SSD picture

Supermicro SuperServer E300-15 - SYS-e300-9C - 16GB RAM 240GB Samsung SSD

$199.99



Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC picture

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC

$250.00



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99