Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: aufs /UNIONFS conflict between /ramdisk & /KNOPPIX.IMG 5

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    16

    aufs /UNIONFS conflict between /ramdisk & /KNOPPIX.IMG 5

    Hi,

    I noticed a problem when trying to compile ruby gems on my new KNOPPIX.IMG aufs mount. It started with an error to the effect that there was no errno.h in /usr/include.

    /KNOPPIX/usr/include/stdio.h and (and MANY other standard C includes) should exist as I have only added a few packages to my base 5.1.1 system. I notices the /usr/lib dirs are not being shown on reboots as well.

    I noticed that /usr is a link to /UNIONFS/usr which seems correct.

    What's strange is that /UNIONFS is defined as both (rw=/KNOPPIX.IMG:ro=/KNOPPIX) and also (rw=/ramdisk:ro=/KNOPPIX). Of course the former is persistent and there's no /usr in /ramdisk at all.

    This should be comparable to anyone's 5.1.1 mounts (with an knoppix.img overlay):

    Now I notice the mtab is slightly different from this as it incorrectly states that /dev/sda3 is /dev/sda2. I have manually set that to the proper value (/dev/sda3) and here's my analysis:

    knoppix@Knoppix:~$ mount
    /dev/root on / type ext2 (rw)
    /ramdisk on /ramdisk type tmpfs (rw,size=411856k,mode=755)
    /UNIONFS on /UNIONFS type aufs (rw,br:/ramdisk:/KNOPPIX)
    /dev/sda3 on /cdrom type vfat (ro,nodev,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,codepage=cp437,ioc harset=iso8859-1)
    /dev/cloop on /KNOPPIX type iso9660 (ro)
    /proc/bus/usb on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw,devmode=0666)
    /dev/pts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw)
    /dev/sda3 on /media/sda3 type vfat (rw,nosuid,nodev,umask=000,shortname=winnt,uid=100 0,gid=1000)
    /media/sda3/knoppix.img on /KNOPPIX.IMG type ext2 (rw,loop=/dev/loop0)
    persistent on /UNIONFS type aufs (rw,br:/KNOPPIX.IMG:/KNOPPIX)

    knoppix@Knoppix:~$ cat /proc/mounts
    rootfs / rootfs rw 0 0
    /dev/root.old / ext2 rw 0 0
    /proc /proc proc rw 0 0
    /sys /sys sysfs rw 0 0
    /dev/sda3 /cdrom vfat rw,nodev,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,codepage=cp437,ioch arset=iso8859-1 0 0
    /dev/cloop /KNOPPIX iso9660 ro 0 0
    /ramdisk /ramdisk tmpfs rw 0 0
    /UNIONFS /UNIONFS aufs rw,xino=/ramdisk/.aufs.xino,br:/ramdisk=rw:/KNOPPIX=ro 0 0
    /proc/bus/usb /proc/bus/usb usbfs rw 0 0
    /dev/root.old /dev/.static/dev ext2 rw 0 0
    tmpfs /dev tmpfs rw 0 0
    /dev/sda3 /media/sda3 vfat rw,nosuid,nodev,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,codepage=cp4 37,iocharset=iso8859-1 0 0
    /dev/loop0 /KNOPPIX.IMG ext2 rw 0 0
    persistent /UNIONFS aufs rw,xino=/KNOPPIX.IMG/.aufs.xino,br:/KNOPPIX.IMG=rw:/KNOPPIX=ro 0 0
    /dev/pts /dev/pts devpts rw 0 0


    knoppix@Knoppix:~$ ls /UNIONFS/usr/include # this produces the same as ls /usr/include
    SDL bfdlink.h diet dmraid kino pci t.h
    X11 capi20.h dis-asm.h gettext-po.h libcryptsetup.h python2.3 xchat
    ansidecl.h capicmd.h dlg_colors.h initreq.h libiberty.h python2.4
    autosprintf.h capiutils.h dlg_config.h isdn_dwabclib.h ntfs-3g qobex
    bfd.h dialog.h dlg_keys.h kde openvpn symcat.h

    knoppix@Knoppix:~$ ls /KNOPPIX/usr/include # this is what I expect to see in /usr/include!!!!
    SDL cursesf.h ftw.h math.h protocols syscall.h
    X11 cursesm.h gconv.h mcheck.h pthread.h sysexits.h
    _G_config.h cursesp.h getopt.h memory.h pty.h syslog.h
    a.out.h cursesw.h gettext-po.h menu.h pwd.h tar.h
    aio.h cursslk.h glob.h mntent.h python2.3 term.h
    aliases.h dialog.h gnu monetary.h python2.4 termcap.h
    alloca.h diet gnu-versions.h mqueue.h qobex termio.h
    ansidecl.h dirent.h grp.h ncurses.h re_comp.h termios.h
    ar.h dis-asm.h iconv.h ncurses_dll.h regex.h tgmath.h
    argp.h dlfcn.h ieee754.h net regexp.h thread_db.h
    argz.h dlg_colors.h ifaddrs.h netash resolv.h time.h
    arpa dlg_config.h initreq.h netatalk rpc ttyent.h
    asm dlg_keys.h inttypes.h netax25 rpcsvc ucontext.h
    asm-generic dmraid isdn_dwabclib.h netdb.h sched.h ulimit.h
    asm-i486 elf.h jconfig.h neteconet scsi unctrl.h
    asm-x86_64 endian.h jerror.h netinet search.h unistd.h
    assert.h envz.h jmorecfg.h netipx semaphore.h ustat.h
    autosprintf.h err.h jpegint.h netpacket setjmp.h utime.h
    bfd.h errno.h jpeglib.h netrom sgtty.h utmp.h
    bfdlink.h error.h kde netrose shadow.h utmpx.h
    bits eti.h langinfo.h nfs signal.h values.h
    byteswap.h etip.h lastlog.h nl_types.h spawn.h wait.h
    c++ execinfo.h libcryptsetup.h nptl stab.h wchar.h
    capi20.h fcntl.h libgen.h nss.h stdint.h wctype.h
    capicmd.h features.h libiberty.h ntfs-3g stdio.h wordexp.h
    capiutils.h fenv.h libintl.h obstack.h stdio_ext.h xchat
    complex.h fmtmsg.h libio.h openvpn stdlib.h xlocale.h
    cpio.h fnmatch.h limits.h panel.h string.h zconf.h
    crypt.h form.h link.h paths.h strings.h zlib.h
    ctype.h fpu_control.h linux pci stropts.h
    curses.h fstab.h locale.h poll.h symcat.h
    cursesapp.h fts.h malloc.h printf.h sys
    It just doesnt make sense that I am unable to see everything from /KNOPPIX/usr/include when I examine /usr/include which gives me the same contents as ls /UNIONFS/usr/include. However, when I dont choose to load knoppix.img on a reboot I can see all these files.

    I know for a fact I didnt delete any of these includes. It leaves me wondering what the problem is and if there's some way to examine the .aufs.xino files to see whats going on.

    It's almost that we should have a stack more similar to this:
    /UNIONFS (/KNOPPIX.IMG=rw,/ramdisk=ro,/KNOPPIX=ro)

    I am not to familiar with the original or the new aufs UNIONFS but wonder if anyone is getting the same problem and if they have found a solution.

    Note: When I start with a new ramdisk image and then run /usr/sbin/knoppix-mkimage all seems well until the next boot. Not sure if I am choosing the right time to [x] overwrite image file with current configuration (which is only once - the 1st time).

    Please help if you have insight on this.

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    16
    Well I have rebooted after making a new knoppix.img and currently the UNIONFS is working correctly for the moment.

    Just to clarify this is exactly the original linuxrc and rcS.d/S00autoconfig.... that comes with the CD-R 5.1.1 (as is the other knoppix.img).

    I get the full list of /usr/include/*.h plus the one I added for verification.

    The mounts look exactly the same:

    knoppix@Knoppix:~$ mount
    /dev/root on / type ext2 (rw)
    /ramdisk on /ramdisk type tmpfs (rw,size=411856k,mode=755)
    /UNIONFS on /UNIONFS type aufs (rw,br:/ramdisk:/KNOPPIX)
    /dev/sda3 on /cdrom type vfat (ro,nodev,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,codepage=cp437,ioc harset=iso8859-1)
    /dev/cloop on /KNOPPIX type iso9660 (ro)
    /proc/bus/usb on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw,devmode=0666)
    /dev/pts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw)
    /dev/sda3 on /media/sda3 type vfat (rw,nosuid,nodev,umask=000,shortname=winnt,uid=100 0,gid=1000)
    /media/sda3/knoppix.img on /KNOPPIX.IMG type ext2 (rw,loop=/dev/loop0)
    persistent on /UNIONFS type aufs (rw,br:/KNOPPIX.IMG:/KNOPPIX)

    knoppix@Knoppix:~$ cat /proc/mounts
    rootfs / rootfs rw 0 0
    /dev/root.old / ext2 rw 0 0
    /proc /proc proc rw 0 0
    /sys /sys sysfs rw 0 0
    /dev/sda3 /cdrom vfat rw,nodev,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,codepage=cp437,ioch arset=iso8859-1 0 0
    /dev/cloop /KNOPPIX iso9660 ro 0 0
    /ramdisk /ramdisk tmpfs rw 0 0
    /UNIONFS /UNIONFS aufs rw,xino=/ramdisk/.aufs.xino,br:/ramdisk=rw:/KNOPPIX=ro 0 0
    /proc/bus/usb /proc/bus/usb usbfs rw 0 0
    /dev/root.old /dev/.static/dev ext2 rw 0 0
    tmpfs /dev tmpfs rw 0 0
    /dev/sda3 /media/sda3 vfat rw,nosuid,nodev,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,codepage=cp4 37,iocharset=iso8859-1 0 0
    /dev/loop0 /KNOPPIX.IMG ext2 rw 0 0
    persistent /UNIONFS aufs rw,xino=/KNOPPIX.IMG/.aufs.xino,br:/KNOPPIX.IMG=rw:/KNOPPIX=ro 0 0
    /dev/pts /dev/pts devpts rw 0 0
    /dev/loop1 /mnt/knoppix ext2 rw 0 0
    looks exactly the same but this one is giving me the full /usr/include list and the other is not.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    16
    Addtional info...if I mount the good/bad images directly onto a separate mount point the newly created image correctly only shows the newly created t.h I added whereas the older image shows many /usr/include files that I cant see as a UNIONFS!

    It's like the image mounted without = lots of /usr/include files
    KNOPPIX/usr/include = lots of /usr/include files

    when combined into a UNIONFS I get very few files!

    This isnt the first time I ran into this. Just wondering if anyone else has.

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    16
    Why do I get the feeling that no one is willing to confirm/deny my issues but are waiting for an answer?

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    64
    I have the same errors every time I boot with knoppix.img.
    I can't apt-get install anything now - I think the package indexes are corrupt.
    This has happened on more than one computer/image file
    ------ edit ------
    cat /proc/mounts
    shows /UNIONFS twice! once with /ramdisk, once with /KNOPPIX.IMG
    df shows /UNIONFS as 600M (the size of the image file) but the DVD is 10+Gig uncompressed
    A second computer won't apt-get install now. Haven't tried it on the third one yet.

    These computers are all rock-steady - all run stable over 1 week (one over a month) w/o image. DVD.iso on HD.
    All ran memtest for days, mprime torture test for days, no errors.
    All 3 are on UPS power.

    apt-get on one says bad dpkg db, one says directory does not exist during unpack.
    Knop4 never had any trouble with image files IIRC

Similar Threads

  1. does knoppix, use aufs? or unionfs? ...still says /UNIONFS..
    By starlyptErin_. in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-22-2009, 10:55 PM
  2. How to build aufs for remastered Knoppix 5.1.1's kernel?
    By tr in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-26-2007, 02:30 PM
  3. Root file system links to UNIONFS (e.g. bin -> /UNIONFS/b
    By Jim Tonic in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-24-2006, 04:14 AM
  4. UnionFS Persistence and ramdisk?
    By heiby in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-19-2005, 06:40 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-03-2005, 01:20 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage DEC VT100 Series Terminal (Powers On) picture

Vintage DEC VT100 Series Terminal (Powers On)

$499.99



Vintage DEC Digital XMI-A1 5017293-01A1 LWPR BE3-0 VAX Circuit Board T2012 picture

Vintage DEC Digital XMI-A1 5017293-01A1 LWPR BE3-0 VAX Circuit Board T2012

$74.99



Vintage DEC Digital T1043 DWMBB/B VAXBI XMI Adapter 5018232-01 C1 VAX Board picture

Vintage DEC Digital T1043 DWMBB/B VAXBI XMI Adapter 5018232-01 C1 VAX Board

$119.99



Vintage DEC/Mostek memory systems MK 8015 AA-00 6805-08015 1100 REV C(B7) picture

Vintage DEC/Mostek memory systems MK 8015 AA-00 6805-08015 1100 REV C(B7)

$279.99



Vintage DEC LK201 Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC) LK201-AA Computer Keyboard picture

Vintage DEC LK201 Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC) LK201-AA Computer Keyboard

$149.99



Vintage DEC E2052-AA  AlphaServer I/O Board 9 Gold Ceramic ICs 4.3 LB Gold Scrap picture

Vintage DEC E2052-AA AlphaServer I/O Board 9 Gold Ceramic ICs 4.3 LB Gold Scrap

$749.99



VINTAGE DEC 54-20470-02 MULTI-PLANE SPX COLOR GRAPHICS CARD FOR VXT2000 TERMINAL picture

VINTAGE DEC 54-20470-02 MULTI-PLANE SPX COLOR GRAPHICS CARD FOR VXT2000 TERMINAL

$169.00



Vintage DEC Digital CompacTape II Tape Cartridge TK-52 TK-70 picture

Vintage DEC Digital CompacTape II Tape Cartridge TK-52 TK-70

$29.99



Vintage DEC Digital Starion 200 Desktop PC Powers On Boots To BIOS NO HDD - DW picture

Vintage DEC Digital Starion 200 Desktop PC Powers On Boots To BIOS NO HDD - DW

$269.99



Vintage DEC Digital VSXXX-AA.B03 Hawley 3-Button Mouse 1986 Tested Working picture

Vintage DEC Digital VSXXX-AA.B03 Hawley 3-Button Mouse 1986 Tested Working

$111.00