Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: How do I boot iso file from already installed grub?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    39

    How do I boot iso file from already installed grub?

    My laptop doesn't boot from usb dongle (I have tried the HP tool in vain, and it does not show up in my list of bootable tiems, BUT I do have Kubuntu installed on the HD and it boots with grub so I am assuming I can use that grub entry to boot other devices but I can't get this right.

    I have tried to do this so many times and I get a grub error 15 file not found. I have "linux" and minirt.gz in /boot/isolinux/ copied from the knoppix 5.1.1 CD on hda2 where my other /boot items are located to boot Kubuntu (I copied the /syslinux from /boot on the CD to /boot on /hda2 in other words). My grub entry for this currently looks like

    title Knoppix
    root (hd1,0)
    kernel /boot/isolinux/linux ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us apm=power-off vga=791 nomce bootfrom=/dev/sda1/knoppix.iso dma myconfig=scan
    initrd /boot/isolinux/minirt.gz

    Part of this entry does recognize my usb dongle and the hd1,0 suggests, as it spits out that it is a FAT filesystem...

    I tried just copying the /boot/isolinux directory to the usb dongle as well so it is in both places. Same error

    I also tried deleting the iso file, copying the knoppix directory from the cd in its place, and changed bootfrom=/dev/sda1/knoppix.iso to fromhd=/dev/sda1. Same error.

    I am obviously overlooking something and either entering things incorrectly, of have files in the wrong place, or have the wrong files to work with this, so if anyone is able to advise me, and correct my grub entry, that would be great.

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    44
    Sorry, you have to copy the entire KNOPPIX directory to the harddisk. To be able to run Knoppix from the iso, you must have a running Knoppix, and you can't get that by using only the kernel and minirt.

    You are better of by booting on the CD and use the cheatcode tohd=/dev/hda2 , thus copying what you need to the harddisk. It will create the directory /KNOPPIX/ in the root of the filesystem on partition hda2. The disadvantage is that the partition will be mounted read-only. You can circumvent that by booting using the cheatcode bootfrom=/dev/sda1/knoppix.iso , but you still need the /KNOPPIX/ directory and all to boot from.

    Suppose you have /KNOPPIX/ and /boot/isolinux/ on /hda2 and the iso on sda1, you should be able to boot Knoppix with

    title Knoppix
    root (hd1,1)
    kernel /boot/isolinux/linux ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us apm=power-off vga=791 nomce bootfrom=/dev/sda1/knoppix.iso dma myconfig=scan
    initrd /boot/isolinux/minirt.gz

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    39
    This actually makes complete sense to me know and now I know why I never could get this to work.

    Thanks a million!

Similar Threads

  1. Poorman's install, when Kubuntu and Grub are installed
    By ryzvonusef in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-01-2009, 05:06 PM
  2. Boot iso on pen drive by grub installed on pen drive
    By jena in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-19-2008, 04:12 PM
  3. Knoppix Succesfully installed but grub installed in root
    By param85047 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-03-2006, 03:31 PM
  4. grub boot loader read the boot file from a windows partition
    By cli168 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-20-2005, 03:57 AM
  5. Installed windows and grub was messed up
    By emmbec in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-21-2005, 09:52 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation picture

Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation

$500.00



HP 13210-60001 Disc Drive Interface PCB HP 7900A 7901A Vintage picture

HP 13210-60001 Disc Drive Interface PCB HP 7900A 7901A Vintage

$166.24



Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25 picture

Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25

$799.00



Vintage UNIVAC 3620670-01 Mainframe Logic Board 15MHz Sperry Computer PCB picture

Vintage UNIVAC 3620670-01 Mainframe Logic Board 15MHz Sperry Computer PCB

$98.95



Vtg IBM Mainframe Prototype Chip Module Lot 146 pc 1988-1993 ES/9000 Lab Arcive picture

Vtg IBM Mainframe Prototype Chip Module Lot 146 pc 1988-1993 ES/9000 Lab Arcive

$649.00



Colorado Jumbo 250 Internal Tape Backup System Complete Set Mainframe Collection picture

Colorado Jumbo 250 Internal Tape Backup System Complete Set Mainframe Collection

$129.99



Mainframe Computer Data Punch Card Lot of 50 Orange 80 Column IBM comp Vtg NOS picture

Mainframe Computer Data Punch Card Lot of 50 Orange 80 Column IBM comp Vtg NOS

$15.00



Rare Vintage Mainframe Burroughs Discrete-Transistor Cordwood Module B2500/B5000 picture

Rare Vintage Mainframe Burroughs Discrete-Transistor Cordwood Module B2500/B5000

$99.95



HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer picture

HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer

$165.58



Vintage MSI K7T Turbo w/ AMD Athlon A1000AMT3C 256MB DDR Ram -Bloated Caps Parts picture

Vintage MSI K7T Turbo w/ AMD Athlon A1000AMT3C 256MB DDR Ram -Bloated Caps Parts

$69.99