Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: "Could not mount device"

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1

    "Could not mount device"

    "Could not mount device.
    The reported error was:
    mount: I could not determine the filesystem type, and none was specified'


    This is an error I get whenever I try to access my IDE hard drive through Knoppix 5.1.1(running off a CD).

    I'm trying to save all the data on that drive by transfering it to a USB external. The filesystem is NFTS so I'm confused as to why it will not let me access it?

    The strange thing is only a week ago I could browse the contents of this drive perfectly. Only when I connected the IDE drive to my new computer (whcih already has a SATA) does the IDE HDD seem impossible to access.. I am very new at Linux so if someone can help me through this process I'd appreciate it.

    I really need the data on this HDD!

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    148
    Hi Samizdat,

    Well so far you haven't given enough details about what mount command you tried to use, or what knoppix 5.1.1 sees your hard drives as.

    If you just want the files off of the ide drive... I would just disconnect the sata drive, and plug in the usb external drive after you have booted up into the gui. You can copy your files and be done with the ide problem.

Similar Threads

  1. "Could Not Mount Device" - Question About Hard Dri
    By Mr K in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-05-2008, 06:37 PM
  2. KNOPPIX 3.8.1 "could not mount device"
    By rioachim in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-17-2005, 01:47 AM
  3. "Device Is Busy" when unmounting devices ARRRGH
    By sakiZ in forum General Support
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-30-2004, 10:34 AM
  4. Sound: "No such device" with Debian. It worked wit
    By gooz in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-23-2004, 09:11 PM
  5. Cant use CD rom device "not a valid block device"
    By YuXeL in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-08-2003, 01:48 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel  Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD picture

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD

$1299.99



IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon  E5620 picture

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620

$199.99



IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM

$179.99



Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For  RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series picture

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series

$375.00



IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU picture

IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU

$999.99



Compaq ProLiant 1500R 5/100 rack server, Series 3155, with IBM 2.1GB HD, VINTAGE picture

Compaq ProLiant 1500R 5/100 rack server, Series 3155, with IBM 2.1GB HD, VINTAGE

$295.00



IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES picture

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES

$110.30



IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1) picture

IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1)

$150.00



DELL POWEREDGE HP IBM SERVER XEON GOLD 5315Y 8 CORE PROCESSOR 3.2 GHZ SRKXR picture

DELL POWEREDGE HP IBM SERVER XEON GOLD 5315Y 8 CORE PROCESSOR 3.2 GHZ SRKXR

$1100.00



Lot of 3 IBM 00JY196 ServeRAID M1210 PCI Express SAS SATA Storage Controller picture

Lot of 3 IBM 00JY196 ServeRAID M1210 PCI Express SAS SATA Storage Controller

$68.99