-
Senior Member
registered user
Open source 'Outlook' alternatives?
What would folks recommend for replacing at least some of the functionality of Outlook on a corporate network? Changing the servers (exchange) is not an option right now, but could individual workstations go over to linux/mystery application X while others continued to use Win2k and Outlook?
Mail, shared calender, Palm syncing and contacts are the most important.
Any ideas?
-
Senior Member
registered user
the Evolution mail client has a (commercial) plugin to work with exchange .
the German government is paying for the development of an open groupware solution ( an altertative to outlook+exchange) based on Kmail, but that includes the server and won't work with exchange as the server (afaik).
Don't expect much open source software to work with the exchange server.
-
Senior Member
registered user
As I understand it, Evolution manages email with an Exchange server by using the webmail function. You have to have webmail turned on on the Exchange server, but if do that you might as well just use a browser. It's MS' fault of course.
-
Senior Member
registered user
thanks - I also just saw crossover office, which might be a good bet, since my org already has the office licence.
-
Senior Member
registered user
I used Crossover Office and it will most likely have all the functionality there for Outlook (and MSOffice, Quicken, Media Player, and a host of other Windows apps). I LOVED this product, but don't really need or use it (for about a year now) but I'm sure its just gotten better. Oh yeah, tech support was pretty darn good too.... The only thing I couldn't get it todo was to sync my Palm with Outlook, but hey!
You know that you could also configure Mozilla as an IMAP email client. That way you get email and folders, but no contacts, todos, calendar, notes, etc... I do that if I need quick and dirty outlook access, or just use the webbrowser.
-
Senior Member
registered user
That might be the solution - one problem is that I work for a non-profit, and we actually get all of our MS stuff free under a grant from them. I am trying a project to convert a smal number of workstations to OS, but I don't want to end up in the situation where switching to Linux costs more than MS (which costs us nothing right now). Bizarre, I know.
-
Senior Member
registered user
The OpenGroupware site has a few listed.
Similar Threads
-
By firefly2442 in forum The Lounge
Replies: 5
Last Post: 05-18-2005, 03:43 PM
-
By vader in forum The Lounge
Replies: 1
Last Post: 07-05-2004, 08:52 PM
-
By j.drake in forum Ideas
Replies: 2
Last Post: 03-19-2004, 11:40 AM
-
By Refugee in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 01-16-2004, 04:39 AM
-
By garyng in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 4
Last Post: 12-01-2003, 05:56 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Computer Photo History Altair 8800 Philco 212 CDC 6600 DEC PDP-8 Apple 1 UNIVAC
$69.99

S-100 Vector Graphic 64K Ram Board (Altair, IMSAI)
$99.95

S-100 Vector Graphic 12K PROM/RAM Board (Altair, IMSAI)
$99.95

S-100 Bus Handbook Altair 8800 IMSAI 8080 Board Schematics Xitan Pertec Cromemco
$89.99

1979 Microprocessor Projects Altair 8800 Intel 8080 KIM-1 COSMAC Elf SWTPC 6800
$59.99

Vintage Digital Research ZSID 1.4 8" Floppy Disk CP/M Z80 Software S-100 Altair
$69.99

640pg Best of BYTE Magazine 1984 Mac Steve Jobs Altair 8800 IBM 5100 Bob Moog
$85.00

Altair MITS S100 Backplane 8080A S-100 Replica IMSAI CP/M (bare board)
$40.00

CP/M 86 1.1R 8086 Highmonitor 8 Inch Floppy Diskette 80s IMSAI Altair
$29.99

ALTAIR Bitcoin Mining Solutions PDU IEC SERIES 100-250V 30A/24A Power Distribute
$99.00