-
Problem with compiling source code
So as a newbie Linux user I have installed a Knoppix system on my computer (I'm using an AMD Athlon 1800+ XP processor). Everything works, but it can not find my network adapter (a RealTek RTL8139) card which is kind of irritating (which it can do when you run Knoppix from the CD). Anyway I have tried to compile the source code found on the web (there are two files I have tried: rtl8139.c and 8139too.c) When I try to compile them all I get is a lot of error messages that do not tell me anything really (since I'm a newbie).
I'm trying the following compile command:
gcc -DMODVERSIONS -DMODULE -D__KERNEL__ -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O6 -c rtl8139.c
To me that command line is mostly greek. Especially the "-DMODVERSIONS -DMODULE -D__KERNEL__ -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O6" line.
Can you type some sort of flag that makes the message that comes up after I type the command readable (like /p in old MS-DOS.)?
I get basically the same message when I try to compile run 8139too.c
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
Re: Problem with compiling source code

Originally Posted by
Redbeard
... Everything works, but it can not find my network adapter (a RealTek RTL8139) card which is kind of irritating (which it can do when you run Knoppix from the CD)....
You have a curious definition of "Everything works".
This is the HDD install forum. I suggest that you glance at the last page of the forum (Currently as I write this page 175). Look at the last two articles at the bottom of the last page, particularly the second from the bottom. See anything that looks familiar?
This bug has been going on since 2002, over 5 years now. It is posted over and over and over and over again and again in this forum. It is just one of the main reasons many of us advise people not to install Knoppix but to install something suitable for hard disk install like Debian (and is likely one of the many reasons that Klaus Knopper refers to the install script as something that "works occasionally".
You may work out your compile issues, but as you already pointed out, the proper drives are already compiled into Knoppix. So in the end that is not going to resolve your problem.
Similar Threads
-
By crazy_monkey108 in forum General Support
Replies: 14
Last Post: 07-04-2006, 07:52 AM
-
By maxIT in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 5
Last Post: 12-30-2005, 10:49 AM
-
By lewisdw in forum General Support
Replies: 5
Last Post: 07-16-2005, 07:35 PM
-
By estranged in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 08-21-2003, 07:13 PM
-
By TheCyberDude in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 06-23-2003, 06:51 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p
$499.88

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server
$349.99

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$381.93

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$308.00

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb
$374.99

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99

Dell R740XD All Flash 2U Server Full 24 x U.2 NVME 2x Xeon 6240R 48 CORE HOMELAB
$849.95

NEW DELL TRUSTED PLATFORM MODULE TPM 2.0 POWEREDGE R730 SERVER M48YR RXW6R K98XH
$225.00

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD
$169.99