Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Need help recovering files from EXT3 after NTFS reformat

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2

    Need help recovering files from EXT3 after NTFS reformat

    Ok, I know the subject sounded strange so here is the problem.

    Had 40 Gigs of data stored on an EXT3 partition. Needed to reinstall XP after it crashed, however I (being stupid for doing this at 3am so yes it's my fault) accidentally chose the EXT3 partition by accident (windows saw it as unformatted space just like the area I prepped for it so there were actually 2 unformatted area) and basically reformatted the drive as NTFS and windows started installing.

    I stopped the installation after I realized what I did so basically the drive is there with the XP files, but what I need to find out is if there is a way to actually find the files that were there before the NTFS format. currently there is less than 500 megs of data on the drive after XP did it's initial install. So since I had almost 40 Gigs of data there, I'm hoping to recover at least some of it.

    Does anyone know of a way of recovering data from from a drive that's been reformatted with a different file system???

    I currently run Xandros 4.1 so I only have Linux installed and most of the file recovery programs I can find that say they will recovery data from EXT3 drives, even those reformatted with a different file system, only work if you have a native Windows installation available. Unfortunately, for some reason, Windows will not install anywhere on the main drive. I have reformatted that drive many times with NTFS, Fat32, etc...Windows will just not install. Xandros is on the 2nd drive working fine while windows was on Drive 1.

    Any ideas will be most helpful,

    Thank you,

    CollectorX

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    282
    If you had only changed the partition type but not formatted data retrieval would have been easier, however there
    may be some hope, for you on freashmeat:

    http://freshmeat.net/projects/giis

    Not sure if it will work after ntfs format, but if it does, post back and let everyone know.

Similar Threads

  1. Recovering ntfs.sys file using Knoppix
    By Tostado in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-02-2005, 04:09 AM
  2. HELP on recovering files.....
    By tkurine in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-08-2005, 04:42 PM
  3. Recovering NTFS partition (Newbie)
    By Davidsa in forum General Support
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 05-26-2004, 08:47 AM
  4. Recovering data from NTFS partition ! Help
    By doktor in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-01-2003, 06:54 AM
  5. recovering files
    By fussyoldfart in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-25-2003, 08:56 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


S-100 Vector Graphic 64K Ram Board (Altair, IMSAI) picture

S-100 Vector Graphic 64K Ram Board (Altair, IMSAI)

$99.95



S-100 Vector Graphic 12K PROM/RAM Board (Altair, IMSAI) picture

S-100 Vector Graphic 12K PROM/RAM Board (Altair, IMSAI)

$99.95



Vintage Digital Research ZSID 1.4 8

Vintage Digital Research ZSID 1.4 8" Floppy Disk CP/M Z80 Software S-100 Altair

$69.99



Computer Photo History Altair 8800 Philco 212 CDC 6600 DEC PDP-8 Apple 1 UNIVAC picture

Computer Photo History Altair 8800 Philco 212 CDC 6600 DEC PDP-8 Apple 1 UNIVAC

$69.99



640pg Best of BYTE Magazine 1984 Mac Steve Jobs Altair 8800 IBM 5100 Bob Moog  picture

640pg Best of BYTE Magazine 1984 Mac Steve Jobs Altair 8800 IBM 5100 Bob Moog

$85.00



1979 Microprocessor Projects Altair 8800 Intel 8080 KIM-1 COSMAC Elf SWTPC 6800 picture

1979 Microprocessor Projects Altair 8800 Intel 8080 KIM-1 COSMAC Elf SWTPC 6800

$59.99



S-100 Industrial Micro Systems 8K Static Ram (IMS, Altair, IMSAI) picture

S-100 Industrial Micro Systems 8K Static Ram (IMS, Altair, IMSAI)

$69.95



BYTE Magazine Cover Jan 1977 Canvas Print 8

BYTE Magazine Cover Jan 1977 Canvas Print 8"x10" Retro Computer Altair 880

$7.00



CP/M 86 1.1R 8086 Highmonitor 8 Inch Floppy Diskette 80s IMSAI Altair picture

CP/M 86 1.1R 8086 Highmonitor 8 Inch Floppy Diskette 80s IMSAI Altair

$29.99



ALTAIR Bitcoin Mining Solutions PDU IEC SERIES 100-250V 30A/24A Power Distribute picture

ALTAIR Bitcoin Mining Solutions PDU IEC SERIES 100-250V 30A/24A Power Distribute

$99.00