Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Running Knoppix on a Compaq 920AC

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    11

    Running Knoppix on a Compaq 920AC

    I have a Compaq 920AC that will not let me run Knoppix. The failures are during boot up. I get a variety of error messages on boot up.

    I have tried the failsafe option and this does not work.

    I think the problem is the video card. The Suse live demo works with an 800x600 @ 16 bit, with the VESA Framebuffer Graphics (fbev). Trying these settings at the boot prompt when starting Knoppix does not help.

    Does anyone have any ideas?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    To use fb at the boot: prompt fb800X600 knoppix already defaults to 16M colours. If you used knoppix failsafe when you booted the failsafe it will not work if this is the case use only failsafe at the boot: with no knoppix in front the same is true with the fb.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    11
    fb800x600 has put me in the right direction but I am still having some problems.

    The first error I get is insmod char-major-4 failed.

    The system eventually carries on and I get

    Warning: Autodetectiion seems to hang, please check your BIOS settings.

    What should I look for in the BIOS settings?

    I then get further messages

    .../bin/loadkeys: Input/output error
    .../usr/sbin/mkxf86config: Input/output error

    /etc/fstab gets created and then

    I get more errors

    .... /bin/rmdir: Input/output error

    Things really get unglued (continuous loop) when I start seeing this error message

    hdc: ATAPI reset complete
    hdc: status error: status=0x20 { DeviceFault}

    I have a hard time reading this but there appears to be some sort of SCSI bus reset going on

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    A quick google search looks like it might be a mouse problem with the char-major-4 so try the cheat code pci=irqmask=0x0e98. You also could try booting with the fb and many of the "no" cheat codes.

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix 3.7 on a Compaq 716EA
    By micheles in forum Laptops
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-04-2005, 06:18 PM
  2. Knoppix 3.7 no boot on Compaq
    By opmvz in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 12-26-2004, 02:01 PM
  3. Running Knoppix in without the X Server running....
    By Raineri in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-24-2003, 10:46 PM
  4. Knoppix on Compaq Evo
    By gabe66 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-05-2003, 01:47 PM
  5. Knoppix on Compaq
    By Guest in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-29-2003, 10:04 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$115.00



OPNsense Firewall 8-Core Atom C3758 4GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN picture

OPNsense Firewall 8-Core Atom C3758 4GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN

$95.00



OPNsense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI picture

OPNsense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI

$195.00



Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet picture

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet

$147.00



PfSense/OPNsense 14x1Gb, 8-Core, 8GB RAM, 80GB SSD, AES-NI, QAT (Lanner FW-7573) picture

PfSense/OPNsense 14x1Gb, 8-Core, 8GB RAM, 80GB SSD, AES-NI, QAT (Lanner FW-7573)

$149.00



Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F UTM UTP License Until 2027 Network Security FW VPN picture

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F UTM UTP License Until 2027 Network Security FW VPN

$229.99



Sophos XG 125 Rev.3 Desktop Firewall 8x GbE 1x SFP Wiped - No Power Adapter picture

Sophos XG 125 Rev.3 Desktop Firewall 8x GbE 1x SFP Wiped - No Power Adapter

$74.99



Netgate SG-2100 pfSense Plus 26.07 Firewall VPN Router - Wiped, Fresh Install picture

Netgate SG-2100 pfSense Plus 26.07 Firewall VPN Router - Wiped, Fresh Install

$174.99



Check Point 1590 Firewall & w builtin WiFI and builtin LTE sim slot picture

Check Point 1590 Firewall & w builtin WiFI and builtin LTE sim slot

$95.99



SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED picture

SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED

$999.99