-
trying new applications without remastering
The synaptic menu lseems to list only applications that are already on the disk (5.1.1 CD). Is there a simple way to install arbitrary applications from the debian repository (temporarily, just to try them out) using the live CD, without either remastering or installing to hard disk? Is the knoppix code identical to the debian, or is some modification required to work with knoppix?
-
I discovered that hitting "refresh" in synaptic gave me a much wider choice than the initial menu, which answered my initial question.
But that led to another question. I marked "gfortran" and the installation proceeded (with some warnings about some unavailable files - how critical I don't know) until it reached a point where a message came up instructing me to stop xdm before proceeding, and restart xdm manually afterward.
I don't know how to stop xdm and couldn't figure it out from the manpage. I assume this is some daemon related to xwindows that one can start and stop, but I don't know how.
Similar Threads
-
By lablom in forum Laptops
Replies: 3
Last Post: 03-20-2006, 11:54 PM
-
By babelbrennt in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 4
Last Post: 09-06-2005, 11:24 PM
-
By alanblundellxx in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 02-06-2005, 12:01 PM
-
Replies: 1
Last Post: 12-13-2004, 01:39 AM
-
By PrOCesSkIlL in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 29
Last Post: 04-02-2004, 01:32 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver
$5.40

Cisco SFP-10G-LR-S Reset & Tested Lot of 2
$32.99

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*
$24.00

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module
$699.99

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT
$7.99

Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA
$28.94

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+
$16.99

Cisco SFP-10G-SR V03 850nm 10GBASE-SR SFP+ MMF 10-2415-03 Transceiver
$4.99

Ubiquiti Unifi USW PRO AGGREGATION 28x10Gbe 4x25Gbe QSFP28 Layer 3 Switch
$700.00

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99