Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Not allowing write mode to be set, please help

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    4

    Not allowing write mode to be set, please help

    Hello,
    I hope this is the right forum for this question. I am sorry to bother you all but I've been working on my computer all day. It is a windows XP machine that has a virus. I made a knoppix live cd to boot with. I ran a f-prot virus scan and it found viruses but didnt clean them because I didnt have write permission set. It was in read only. That is what wasted most of the day.

    I followed more instructions to mount the drive which is located at /dev/hda1 then I right clicked to change read/write permission but it says "the command failed, maybe there is another process accessing the file system".

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    4
    I was able to clear up this situation by searching this forum. Sorry for making a topic so fast. It turns out I had to use ntfsfix through the command prompt because it was "dirty". I havent had the situation fixed yet Im still going through the steps however it looks promising. I hate spending money on computer fixes.

  3. #3
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    My advice: don't try to write to a NTFS file system with Knoppix. Use Knoppix to safely read the disk, make backups of the files that you need (across a network is a handy way to do this, but there are also other ways), and then do a fresh install of Windows complete with a full reformat. To be fair, there are some people who think that writing to NTFS is safe with Knoppix, but the version of the software used in Knoppiox does not seem to support that belief. See this post from someone who determined that the hard way.

    You at least have access to the files that you didn't back up with Knoppix, don't risk you last chance to get them by writing to a NTFS partition with Knoppix.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    4
    Hello,
    Thank you for your reply. In general I have already used "ntfsfix" from the command prompt. Will that already write to the partition? Secondly I've mounted and changed the read/write access to writable. I did nothing else yet. Another question is when you say do not write to the ntfs I would be running a virus scan with f-prot to disinfect (which would probably write) and delete. Is it true that would mean it would write to the partition?

  5. #5
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    I don't know at what point the damage is done. I've just seen over many years that people who write to NTFS with Knoppix often but not always suffer corrupted file systems. Sometimes right away, sometimes the corruption is not spotted until later. If you have done any harm yet is not the real question, if you can no longer access your files I guess we know the answer. But if you can read them and the data that you want seems to be there, then I still suggest making good backups now and then reinstalling Windows fresh.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    4
    Thank you for your help. I will make a backup with my external harddrive. Then I will try to fix it and not care if I blow it up. Unless its already blown up. However I do like knoppix this is very interesting.

Similar Threads

  1. Knopp cd won't save to hd, even aftr chnge to write mode
    By churrodudeski in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-28-2006, 08:39 PM
  2. Changing to read/write mode mounting Knoppix
    By kermitq in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 09-09-2006, 06:26 AM
  3. Write mode
    By WaKa in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-16-2005, 11:10 PM
  4. Mount NTFS in read/write-mode
    By walterma in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-26-2004, 07:52 AM
  5. can't change read/write mode on HDD
    By Dioran in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-16-2003, 08:21 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


One Of A Kind Homemade Vintage Mainframe Computer, Logic Module Wood Bookends picture

One Of A Kind Homemade Vintage Mainframe Computer, Logic Module Wood Bookends

$149.00



Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25 picture

Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25

$594.99



Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation picture

Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation

$500.00



HP 13210-60001 Disc Drive Interface PCB HP 7900A 7901A Vintage picture

HP 13210-60001 Disc Drive Interface PCB HP 7900A 7901A Vintage

$157.93



4x Various Brands 8.5

4x Various Brands 8.5" Mainframe 9-Track Reel Computer Data Tape 6250 CPI .5"

$24.99



Vintage Japanese Katakana Double Shot Sperry Univac UTS 4000 Keyboard 1981 picture

Vintage Japanese Katakana Double Shot Sperry Univac UTS 4000 Keyboard 1981

$199.99



LOT of 14 DATA 100 Corporation Mainframe Terminal Boards Memory Backplane Gold picture

LOT of 14 DATA 100 Corporation Mainframe Terminal Boards Memory Backplane Gold

$749.99



Vintage UNIVAC Mainframe Circuit Board Lamp - Cyberpunk Tech Geek Industrial Art picture

Vintage UNIVAC Mainframe Circuit Board Lamp - Cyberpunk Tech Geek Industrial Art

$225.00



HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer picture

HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer

$157.30



MCSI IND-486DX Industrial ISA SBC PC/104 Motherboard NOS Untested No CPU RAM picture

MCSI IND-486DX Industrial ISA SBC PC/104 Motherboard NOS Untested No CPU RAM

$189.99