Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Switching off hdd access at boot?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Guildford, UK
    Posts
    1

    Switching off hdd access at boot?

    Aim: boot via knoppix live dvd

    Problem: My laptop's hard disk has suffered some kind of catastrophe, and is not usable. When I try to boot knoppix 5.3 (even with nofstab and noswap), it takes ages and frequently pauses for a few minutes as I get to listen to the hard disk clunking away, probably returning senile rubbish.

    So how can I get knoppix to give up on its dry-humping of my disk? I want it to just ignore that it exists.

    By the by, I'm already using XFCE rather than KDE because on the last boot the box hung after displaying the pretty compiz fusion logo, leaving me with a movable cursor and nothing more.

    As it is, it boots appallingly slowly and I've yet to get a desktop I can interact with, only reaching the 'I can see it, I can move my cursor, but the only clicking happening is from the dying disk.

    The disk contains a (now corrupt) install of some previous linux distro, and I'm trying to use a Knoppix 5.3 DVD (Linux Magazine cover disc).

    <edit>I've even tried it with noswap nofstab failsafe, and still the hdd clunks away... </edit>
    Solution:
    I'm down to trying to actually remove the offending disk, but that will need a mini screwdriver and acceptance of defeat.

    Any thoughts?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    104
    You can try some combination of cheatcodes but you will probably fail because if you disable the drive controller you will also most likely disable the CD/DVD drive and Knoppix will fail to load.

    Here is the link to the cheatcodes:

    http://ftp.uni-kl.de/pub/linux/knopp...cheatcodes.txt

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by cbagger01
    You can try some combination of cheatcodes but you will probably fail because if you disable the drive controller you will also most likely disable the CD/DVD drive and Knoppix will fail to load.

    Here is the link to the cheatcodes:

    http://ftp.uni-kl.de/pub/linux/knopp...cheatcodes.txt
    If your bios can, try to boot with an usb version of knoppix.
    Use dmesg to see where the erros comes from

    Max

Similar Threads

  1. HOW TO SET DESIRED ACCESS PERMISSIONS UPON BOOT UP?
    By lowhweekiat in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-19-2007, 05:36 AM
  2. During boot process .. " init: Switching to runlevel: 0
    By eekarum in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-01-2004, 08:08 AM
  3. boot from cd without bios access?
    By paddyponchero in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-15-2003, 03:47 PM
  4. Switching to GDM from KDM
    By displaced in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-30-2003, 10:50 PM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-19-2003, 03:25 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


2-Bay/4-Bay Hard Drive Enclosure for 3.5

2-Bay/4-Bay Hard Drive Enclosure for 3.5"/2.5'' SATA HDD/SSD 10Gbps USB-C 3.2

$75.99



OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2  for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs picture

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs

$87.99



Areca ARC-1882IX-24 (16i4e)24-Port RAID Controller Card w/BBU /HDD Monitor Board picture

Areca ARC-1882IX-24 (16i4e)24-Port RAID Controller Card w/BBU /HDD Monitor Board

$300.00



Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD picture

Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD

$265.00



WAVLINK RAID 2 Bay Hard Drive Docking Station SATA 2.5/3.5'' SSD HDD Enclosure picture

WAVLINK RAID 2 Bay Hard Drive Docking Station SATA 2.5/3.5'' SSD HDD Enclosure

$119.99



Acasis USB 3.2 2 Bay HDD RAID Enclosure for 2.5/3.5

Acasis USB 3.2 2 Bay HDD RAID Enclosure for 2.5/3.5" SATA Drives External Array

$55.00



Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV picture

Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV

$18.95



NVME M.2 Adapter Card PCIE X16 Splitter Expansion Controller 4-Disk Soft RAID picture

NVME M.2 Adapter Card PCIE X16 Splitter Expansion Controller 4-Disk Soft RAID

$24.43



CalDigit VR minin 2 Portable Raid Storage On The Go picture

CalDigit VR minin 2 Portable Raid Storage On The Go

$75.00



Broadcom 9600-24i RAID Controller PCIe Gen 4.1 Tri-Mode NEW 05-50111-01004 picture

Broadcom 9600-24i RAID Controller PCIe Gen 4.1 Tri-Mode NEW 05-50111-01004

$649.99