-
NTFS recovery help
I recently tried to start up my windows system and was greeted with a Disk read error. I am now running Knoppix and trying to see if there is anything i can do about said error, or possibly recover some of the data from the troublesome disk. I am relatively new to Linux though, so any help would be appreciated.
I see three hard drive icons on my desktop (there were only two partitions that I knew of in windows but I assume the third must be some recovery partition or such) all of which give the following error when I click on them:
Could not mount device.
The reported error was:
Error reading bootsector: Input/output error
Failed to startup volume: Input/output error
Failed to mount '/dev/hdb1': Input/output error
NTFS is inconsistent. Run chkdsk /f on Windows then reboot it TWICE!
The usage of the /f parameter is very IMPORTANT! No modification was
made to NTFS by this software.
I have also tried testdisk and gpart with the following results:
testdisk: error while loading shared libraries: libntfs.so.9: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
gpart hdb1
*** Fatal error: cannot get sector size on dev(hdb1).
Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
-
Senior Member
registered user
It sounds like you have some real drive problems. Maybe hardware. Maybe the drive's cable is loose.
I would start by making sure the cable is plugged ALL the way in... on the drive and the motherboard end.
If that doesn't improve your situation... I would remove the drive and plug it into another "known good" computer... as a slave drive.
That computer should have the same OS installed as you have on that drive. Ie XP SP2 any form of home or pro. Boot up and have Windows check the drive's partitions.
This site has a good enough guide on using windows to repair partitions. But using Knoppix to repair a filesystem is misguided. You can recover data from a drive that is "mountable," but if Knoppix tells you to use your original OS... then you should go ahead along those lines.
Similar Threads
-
By Daddymac117 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 2
Last Post: 08-07-2006, 01:34 AM
-
By zette in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 2
Last Post: 05-04-2005, 03:03 PM
-
By Miburou in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 3
Last Post: 03-13-2005, 04:14 AM
-
By itaydagani in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 3
Last Post: 02-02-2005, 12:53 AM
-
By terminator in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-12-2004, 10:52 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS
$199.00

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC
$250.00

Supermicro E200-8D Barebones Server Chassis Xeon D-1528 X10SDV-6C-TLN4F 2x10GbE
$445.00

Supermicro 505-2 Server
$280.00

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*
$369.99

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G
$449.99

SuperMicro 4U CSE 847 36 Bay LFF Barebone 2x 1280W w/ 2x Bays 2.5 Rear w/Trays
$499.99

Supermicro 5019D-4C-FN8TP Xeon D-2123IT (4C/8T) 64GB DDR4 10GbE 480GB 1U Server
$689.00

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On
$450.00

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset
$129.99