Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: running out of space

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    8

    running out of space

    I am running Knoppix on my laptop. I have 192 meg of memory. That isn't alot. When I run apt-get update, I run out of memory. I would like
    to take the relevant directories and remount them on a large usb drive. I can't quite figure out the mount remount syntax. Any ideas?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    282

    Re: running out of space

    Quote Originally Posted by doglover
    I am running Knoppix on my laptop. I have 192 meg of memory. That isn't alot. When I run apt-get update, I run out of memory. I would like
    to take the relevant directories and remount them on a large usb drive. I can't quite figure out the mount remount syntax. Any ideas?

    Running out of RAM is not the same as running out of hard drive space.
    If you are short on RAM then moving files to a larger hard drive will not make much difference.

    You need to set aside a swap space of around 500MB. You can also try starting a desktop with a lower memory footprint like xfce.
    The knoppix cheatcode
    desktop=xfce

    is one way around this. You can even work in console mode by changing to init 2 and running apt-get update from the console.

Similar Threads

  1. running out of disk space when cp -Rp
    By loonix in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-29-2007, 12:01 AM
  2. What to do with all the space on the 4.0 dvd
    By NAvAP in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-19-2005, 06:52 AM
  3. need more tmp space
    By CrashedAgain in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-10-2005, 05:18 AM
  4. not enough space ?!
    By Rapt0r in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-16-2004, 12:01 PM
  5. Running Knoppix in without the X Server running....
    By Raineri in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-24-2003, 10:46 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Computer Photo History Altair 8800 Philco 212 CDC 6600 DEC PDP-8 Apple 1 UNIVAC picture

Computer Photo History Altair 8800 Philco 212 CDC 6600 DEC PDP-8 Apple 1 UNIVAC

$69.99



S-100 Vector Graphic 64K Ram Board (Altair, IMSAI) picture

S-100 Vector Graphic 64K Ram Board (Altair, IMSAI)

$99.95



S-100 Vector Graphic 12K PROM/RAM Board (Altair, IMSAI) picture

S-100 Vector Graphic 12K PROM/RAM Board (Altair, IMSAI)

$99.95



S-100 Bus Handbook Altair 8800 IMSAI 8080 Board Schematics Xitan Pertec Cromemco picture

S-100 Bus Handbook Altair 8800 IMSAI 8080 Board Schematics Xitan Pertec Cromemco

$89.99



Intel 4004IBM Mark 1 UNIVAC Cray-1 Babbage ENIAC Apple 1 Steve Jobs MITS Altair picture

Intel 4004IBM Mark 1 UNIVAC Cray-1 Babbage ENIAC Apple 1 Steve Jobs MITS Altair

$50.99



1979 Microprocessor Projects Altair 8800 Intel 8080 KIM-1 COSMAC Elf SWTPC 6800 picture

1979 Microprocessor Projects Altair 8800 Intel 8080 KIM-1 COSMAC Elf SWTPC 6800

$59.99



Vintage Digital Research ZSID 1.4 8

Vintage Digital Research ZSID 1.4 8" Floppy Disk CP/M Z80 Software S-100 Altair

$69.99



640pg Best of BYTE Magazine 1984 Mac Steve Jobs Altair 8800 IBM 5100 Bob Moog  picture

640pg Best of BYTE Magazine 1984 Mac Steve Jobs Altair 8800 IBM 5100 Bob Moog

$85.00



CP/M 86 1.1R 8086 Highmonitor 8 Inch Floppy Diskette 80s IMSAI Altair picture

CP/M 86 1.1R 8086 Highmonitor 8 Inch Floppy Diskette 80s IMSAI Altair

$29.99



ALTAIR Bitcoin Mining Solutions PDU IEC SERIES 100-250V 30A/24A Power Distribute picture

ALTAIR Bitcoin Mining Solutions PDU IEC SERIES 100-250V 30A/24A Power Distribute

$99.00