-
Booting Hiccups, Newbie Needs Help
Hi. So, I accidently formatted my drive when using gpart last week, and lost ~230GB of data I can't afford to lose. Though I have reinstalled Ubuntu, I have downloaded little else and am told that the bulk of my data should be recoverable if I boot from Knoppix with an external HD attached.
I have tried 3 different distros of Knoppix (5.1.1, 5.1.0, and 3.8.1). All are proper images, and all have been burned at very low speeds. MD5 checksums are fine. So, yes, I've read the FAQ's and obeyed them. My problem persists:
"Can't find Knoppix filesystem, sorry." Then I am returned to a "very limited shell". I have tried entering: [ knoppix nodma ] into the boot menu, because some advice I found on the forums suggested it. This has no effect, either.
I am running an Intel 2.4 quadcore, 500GB 7200rpm Barracuda SATA, 4 GB 667hz RAM, 512MB nVidia 8200. My opitcal drive is a 24x lightscribe from LG. I don't know if more specific specs are needed, ask and I will try to provide. I just really want my files back, so I'm hunting for advice on how to make Knoppix boot, or else any other effective strategies for data recovery. Please help, this is urgent (I am sort of paralyzed until I get these files back).
Jon
Similar Threads
-
By matt topo in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 07-07-2006, 10:03 PM
-
By jlsweet53 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 3
Last Post: 06-14-2005, 12:13 AM
-
By Fifigunit in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 01-04-2005, 03:46 PM
-
By mark in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 05-04-2004, 02:22 PM
-
By Steven Wallace in forum General Support
Replies: 5
Last Post: 11-07-2003, 02:18 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*
$369.99

HP Proliant MicroServer Gen 8 2.23GHz Xeon 16GB RAM NO SSD
$249.99

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC
$250.00

Supermicro 505-2 Server
$280.00

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G
$449.99

HPe Proliant Microserver Gen10 AMD Opteron 16GB RAM, 3x Intel SSD, Working
$600.00

Supermicro 5019D-4C-FN8TP Xeon D-2123IT (4C/8T) 64GB DDR4 10GbE 480GB 1U Server
$689.00

SuperMicro 4U CSE 847 36 Bay LFF Barebone 2x 1280W w/ 2x Bays 2.5 Rear w/Trays
$499.99

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset
$129.99

Supermicro E300-12C Mini 1U Barebone X12SCV-LVDS LGA1200 SNK-P0073A4 w/ Adapter
$225.00