Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: "Could Not Mount Device" - Question About Hard Dri

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    4

    "Could Not Mount Device" - Question About Hard Dri

    I've looked through a lot of posts about this, but none of them seem to match the problem I'm having.

    My hard drive crashed last week. The exact same error had happened a year ago with my last hard drive, so I decided to build a new computer. I've built that and it's all fine, but I'd still like a lot of data from my old hard drive. I tried a lot of solutions before, like Partition Table Doctor, EASEUS Data Recovery and Data Rescue PC but none of them worked. I read about Knoppix and decided to give it a try. Firstly, I tried loading it with just my current hard drive. It loaded up fine, and Knoppix opened the drive. Then I turned it off, plugged in my old hard drive, along with my current hard drive and it loaded up fine again. I got to the desktop, yet when I double clicked either hard drive, both of them gave me the following error:

    Could not mount device
    The reported error was:
    And that's it. There was no error below it, it just had that.

    I used XP and NTFS on my old hard drive.

    If anyone could help then I'd much appreciate it, thanks a lot.

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    First of all, I don't want to get your hopes up. I've had several NTFS partitioned hard drives crash under Windows and Knoppix has been unable to recover files from any of them. But there are many people who have had some luck recovering fiels from crashed windows systems. Unfortunately, this is usually when there are problems with the Windows OS files on the disk that are keeping the disk from booting, not when windows has scrambled the system so bad that even other recovery tools can't get to it.

    Before giving up, I would suggest that you read up on two Linux tools that might help you. One is gpart and the other in testdisk. gpart is a utility that can help recover data if the problem isn't that the data is corrupted, but rather that the partition table has been mucked up and so the pointers to the partitions (or other information like the partition type) are corrupt or just missing. It will examine the whole disk and suggest what the partitions should look like (if it can make a determination). testdisk does a number of test but among them is also partition recovery. I generally prefer gpart and find testdisk to be a dumbed down "for dummies" version of the tool, but in this case I might try testdisk. But my actual advice is not not rush to do either, read up on each on the Internet and decide which if either you want to try.

    Also I should mention that in some versions of Knoppix, testdisk is bad and will give an error. I don't believe this is the case with the 5.3.1 DVD version, but it was in some of the earlier 5.x CD versions.

    If you do manage to see any files my advice is to not write them to another NTFS disk partition with Knoppix. Either save them to a FAT partition or drive, or transfer them across a network to another computer.

    Good luck.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    4
    With testdisk or gpart, do I start up Knoppix, then download them? I'm not 100% sure how I'd install them, as I've never used any version of Linux before.

    Thanks for the reply.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    4
    Oh, I just realised I've already tried testdisk. I'll give gpart a go.

Similar Threads

  1. "Could not mount device"
    By samizdat in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-21-2008, 04:39 AM
  2. "Buffer I/O Error on device cloop0" ...
    By jcdecode in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-13-2005, 10:01 AM
  3. KNOPPIX 3.8.1 "could not mount device"
    By rioachim in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-17-2005, 01:47 AM
  4. "Device Is Busy" when unmounting devices ARRRGH
    By sakiZ in forum General Support
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-30-2004, 10:34 AM
  5. Cant use CD rom device "not a valid block device"
    By YuXeL in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-08-2003, 01:48 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT picture

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT

$7.99



Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter picture

Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter

$27.50



Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module picture

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module

$699.99



NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping* picture

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*

$24.00



Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver picture

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver

$5.40



Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA picture

Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA

$28.94



HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port  PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+ picture

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+

$16.99



Lot of 5 Cisco 10G SFP+ 850nm 300m Transceiver Module P/N: SFP-10G-SR-10-2415-03 picture

Lot of 5 Cisco 10G SFP+ 850nm 300m Transceiver Module P/N: SFP-10G-SR-10-2415-03

$15.00



Dell 10 Gigabit SFP+ SR Transceiver 0XYD50 NEW SEALED picture

Dell 10 Gigabit SFP+ SR Transceiver 0XYD50 NEW SEALED

$24.99



Cisco Catalyst WS-C3650-12X48UQ-L 48 Port UPOE 4x 10G SFP+ Switch picture

Cisco Catalyst WS-C3650-12X48UQ-L 48 Port UPOE 4x 10G SFP+ Switch

$175.00