-
Knoppix on Intel based iMac
Sorry if this has been asked, searching the forums I could only find extremely outdated topics.
Last night I was watching the news, and got bored during the commercials. I thought to myself "Hmm, I wonder if my Knoppix DVD will load on this iMac." Frankly, I had little doubt that it would, but I have heard a lot of stuff over the years about hacks to get the Macs to boot other OSes. So, I stuck it in, and held down the C key. It actually booted just fine to the Knoppix boot screen, and needless to say I was excited. That faded fast though as soon as KDE loaded. The drivers it had chosen for the monitor caused a horrible flickering, making the screen look like it was being broadcast over rabbit ears. I can't even explain how horrible the second monitor connection hooked up to my HDTV looked. Also, not too surprisingly, I couldn't get the wifi to work, but then again, I've never tried to use wifi on Knoppix.
I used Knoppix Live DVD 5.31
Anyone know of a modified version of Knoppix that anyone has done to include drivers needed for Intel based Macs? Or maybe you can point me in the right direction. It would be really cool to use one Live DVD to repair both the newest Macs and PC's.
Similar Threads
-
By Bombaybruce in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 04-27-2008, 03:27 PM
-
By orez in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 03-07-2005, 09:57 AM
-
By orez in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 03-06-2005, 05:25 PM
-
By pilovis in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 03-28-2003, 09:17 PM
-
By lindleyrl in forum Ideas
Replies: 5
Last Post: 03-14-2003, 03:13 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Compaq 242506-001 Netelligent 100 FDDI DAS Fiber SC PCI Network Adapter Vintage
$249.00

Vintage HP 21MX 1000 M-Series Minicomputer Chassis Backplane Parts AS-IS
$228.19

Vintage Computer Keyboard Northgate OMNIKEY Ultra
$120.00

Lot of 2 Vintage Plextor PX-43CS SCSI CD-ROM Caddy Drives + 4 Caddies Used
$55.99

Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot
$316.95

Amiga Commodore A500 - Untested-For Parts or Repair - Vintage
$200.00

Vintage Intel SDK-86 8086 Microprocessor System Design Kit Evaluation Board
$599.00

Vintage Cubix A2870 + 2x A2310 QL 2286 Video Module ISA Boards 1989 Untested
$207.92

Vintage Apple iMac G4 15" Lamp 700MHz 512MB Mac OS X 10.4.6 W/ Pro Speakers
$300.00

Vintage Hewlett Packard HP 13181-60074 Circuit Card Assembly / Interface Board.
$94.76