-
Junior Member
registered user
Re: Wireless How to for Knoppix 5.3.1

Originally Posted by
chip.ling
Dear all,
Some time ago, I promised an user (I forgot who) to try to find a way to use wireless connection on Knoppix 5.3.1. He mentioned that if we can make wireless working on the 5.3.1 may help some blind people. So I am very happy to have it done.
....
....
....
....
....
....
Merry X'mas
Rgds,
Chip
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chip Ling,
Glad that you have prepared a howto procedure for beginners to work with.
Though I have followed this wireless LAN step-by-step guide (case 1) for a D-Link GWL122 adapter (802.11g) installed on a desktop PC running Knoppix 5.3.1 (HDD version) intended to connect to a D-link 724+ (with encryption OFF) wireless router but I failed to bring the wireless LAN up and running.
I first booted Knoppix 5.3.1 without the D-Link DWL122 plugged into the usb slot. I plugged the adapter into its place when I am about to issue the iwconfig and ifconfig commands. Appended is the test log:
==juliantchan@KNX-Host:~$ su
==Password:
==root@KNX-Host:/home/juliantchan# iwconfig
==
==lo no wireless extensions.
==
==eth0 no wireless extensions.
==
==root@KNX-Host:/home/juliantchan# ifconfig
== *** no "lo" display ***
== *** Plug usb wireless adapter (GWL122) into usb slot ***
== *** Saw the lnk led brinks @ about 3 seconds interval ***
== *** Wait for about 5mins before next commands ***
==root@KNX-Host:/home/juliantchan# iwconfig
==
==lo no wireless extensions.
==
==eth0 no wireless extensions.
==
==wmaster0 no wireless extensions.
==
==wlan0 IEEE 802.11g ESSID:""
== Mode:Managed Channel:0 Access Point: Not-Associated
== Tx-Power=0 dBm
== Retry min limit:7 RTS thr
ff Fragment thr=2346 B
== Encryption key
ff
== Link Quality:0 Signal level:0 Noise level:0
== Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
== Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0
==
==root@KNX-Host:/home/juliantchan# ifconfig
== *** no "lo" display ***
==root@KNX-Host:/home/juliantchan# su
==root@KNX-Host:/home/juliantchan# iwconfig wlan0 essid D724 channel 6
==root@KNX-Host:/home/juliantchan# iwconfig
==
==lo no wireless extensions.
==
==eth0 no wireless extensions.
==
==wmaster0 no wireless extensions.
==
==wlan0 IEEE 802.11g ESSID: "D724"
== Mode:Managed Frequency:2.437 GHz Access Point: Not-Associated
== Tx-Power=27 dBm
== Retry min limit:7 RTS thr
ff Fragment thr=2346 B
== Encryption key
ff
== Link Quality:0 Signal level:0 Noise level:0
== Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
== Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0
==
==root@KNX-Host:/home/juliantchan# ifconfig
==
==root@KNX-Host:/home/juliantchan# pump -i wlan0
==
==failed to connect to localhost:bootpc: Network is unreachable
==There might be another pump running!
==Operation failed.
==root@KNX-Host:/home/juliantchan# ifconfig
==root@KNX-Host:/home/juliantchan#
On a second try, I have have put the D-link GWL122 adapter into the usb slot before the booting.
Result is the same except pump command only returns "Operation" failed (without "There might..............).
On a third try, I have been consistently and successfully bringing the wireless LAN up with the same hardware combination except using Knoppix the latest Knoppix (version 6.0.1 CD) - even with WPA encryption ON.
Lastly, I failed to bring the Wireless LAN up with a PROLINK WN2200 usb draft 802.11n adapter - iwconfig and ifconfig command (or Knoppix 6.0.1) seems can't even detect the existence of this adapter. The vendor website provides a driver which is called "RT2870 Wireless Lan Linux Driver". I am new, so dare not to do something screw up the entire system.
In summary, I have two (2) problems:
1. Not able to bring wlan0 up and running with 5.3.1
Further, how encryption is being implemented
2. Not able to detect draft N adapter with 6.0.1
Looks like problem is with the standard driver/configuaration
I am very new to Linux/Knoppix (2 weeks old) but have been working with PCs for quite some time.
I am able to follow (detailed) instructions but not sure what could be wrong in causing above problems.
Appreciate if you can help identifying (my) problems.
Regards,
Julian
Similar Threads
-
By l951b951 in forum Networking
Replies: 3
Last Post: 09-30-2007, 07:41 AM
-
By dtzxdtzx1 in forum Networking
Replies: 2
Last Post: 07-31-2007, 11:20 PM
-
By rpk073 in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 10-14-2005, 12:09 PM
-
By sparticus in forum Laptops
Replies: 9
Last Post: 10-23-2004, 12:55 AM
-
By dave52355 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-04-2004, 09:23 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT
$7.99

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*
$24.00

Intel SPTSLP2SLCDE 100G-DR1 QSFP28 500m 1311nm Transceivers - Lot of 10 - New
$200.00

Cisco QSFP-40G-SR-BD Module 10-2945-02 NEW CLAMSHELL
$45.50

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver
$5.40

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+
$16.99

Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA
$28.94

New Sealed Cisco GLC-LH-SMD 1000BASE-LX/LH SFP Transceiver Module *US
$17.00

Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter
$27.50

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module
$699.99